Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mystery question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mystery-question-t61359.html)

navasota320 08-25-2010 03:40 PM

If you were making a mystery quilt and when you got to the putting it together part and the points and squares weren't matching would you finish or throw up your hands and say uncle. I'm going to finish the quilt but I've never before made a quilt that the seams and points were so off. I guess I'm the only one that will know that's not the way it should be.

oatw13 08-25-2010 03:47 PM

lol

I am working on one now and nothing is matching quite right! I am doing the one on Erik's Homemade Blog. The machine I started it on was in the shop for awhile and I had to use another one. Unfortunately, the two sew different 1/4" seams! lol So nothing is matching quite right.

I am going to finish it and then if I like the pattern, I can make it again and use the same machine for all of it!

Keep going! You can always donate the top or use it as a picnic blanket!

Kitsie 08-25-2010 03:53 PM

Sounds like sashing might come in handy! LOL

mrspete 08-25-2010 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Navasota, I'm doing Erik's too and in about the fourth step I was stumped and sent a personal email about being excited then so hurt that I had to just quit because I was so lost. About the time he emailed me about a possibility, it came to me that I was missing a step. I thought I'd done everything. I have a picture of what I've done so far. Even another mistake I made, but I'd like to share it with you.
I'm still excited about the outcome. After 18 weeks we are almost done with the top. I think I am going to use white flannel for my backing because my colors on the front are so bright and cheerful. Let me know what you think of it. Keep trying, and maybe mine will give you an idea. I was going to take a picture of each step for my benefit but I needed batteries for my digital camera and never got around to it. So, here goes and I wish you patience and luck. Blessings, Ruth

navasota320 08-25-2010 04:24 PM

I thought about shashing but wasn't sure that would look good. I'm using "carolina Christmas", a pattern by Bonnie at Quiltville.com. Do you think sashing would work?

Jim's Gem 08-25-2010 04:34 PM

I would go ahead and finish. That being said. I have finished all of the mystery quilts that I have started, 6 of them all together, with the exception of one. The top is done and it is even spray basted but I have not figured out how to quilt the thing. It's queen size and has been waiting for 2 1/2 years now!

Rosyhf 08-25-2010 04:35 PM

If a mystry sound good to me, I just download the lessons until it is all done and then decide if I want to do it. I can't bring myself to do something I can't see lol.

navasota320 08-25-2010 04:54 PM

Maybe sashing would answer both out problems.

navasota320 08-26-2010 06:22 AM

I've decided to put the quilt together even though the seams don't match. After all it's a scrappy quilt.

patimint 08-26-2010 05:04 PM

When I started to learn to quilt,way back when, quilts were made to keep us warm, not be works of art (of course they can be both.) My mom made "scrappy quilts out of what ever material she had or out of old clothes that the youngest sibling had finally outgrow. I think your quilt will be great