Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mystery Quilt Alongs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mystery-quilt-alongs-t307992.html)

Rhonda K 11-13-2019 04:01 PM

Mystery Quilt Alongs

There is always so much interest in mystery quilts. Do you play along with them? Do you always like the final layout?

I've never done one though I've watched other quilters progress.

Mariposa 11-13-2019 04:06 PM

I do Bonnie Hunter's yearly Mystery www.quiltville.com ~ It starts the day after Thanksgiving (U.S.). They are fun to see what color ways folks decide to use.

Kassaundra 11-13-2019 04:10 PM

I have played along w/ the Bonnie Hunter one. I watched one before I joined fortunately it was the crazy pink one, the only one of her mysteries I didn't like. I looked at a lot of her quilts before joining and liked most. I also have confidence that I can (and will) change things up to what I like if it heads in a way I don't like (I've even changed up BH's when I did like what she did, I just liked my idea better). There have been a few others I've looked at and either I didn't like their previous mysteries (or general quilts) or I couldn't find past ones so wouldn't "risk" fabric. Also I won't do one I have to pay to join.

LAF2019 11-13-2019 04:13 PM

Never done one, but it does pique my interest. However, I have so many projects and layout ideas of my own that I want to try, I just don't want to give my time and fabric to something that is unknown. one day, I will try....just not yet.

toverly 11-13-2019 04:18 PM

Yes, I love BH. It gives me a great excuse to sew during the Holidays when so much is going on. It helps to clear my head. Some I like the way they turn out, some I don't. Last year I made it out of blender fabrics and I loved it more than the rest. I will make this year's I just haven't decided on a color palette yet.

Jaiade 11-13-2019 04:25 PM

I have done some BH mysteries. Started with Orca Bay and ended with Grand Illusion. GI did it for me(didn't like at all). Haven't done another by her. I like the idea of playing along with the clues etc., but I don't like the surprise at the end. Especially if I don't like it, which I found was the case for BH's. There are too many quilts on my bucket list that I want to make to do mysteries that I don't like at the end. I have since discovered that I like a sew-along much better where I can see the finished quilt and decide if I want to play along.

Kassaundra 11-13-2019 04:32 PM

Grand Illusion that is the pink one I didn't like, I couldn't remember the name.

Originally Posted by Jaiade (Post 8326732)
I have done some BH mysteries. Started with Orca Bay and ended with Grand Illusion. GI did it for me(didn't like at all). Haven't done another by her. I like the idea of playing along with the clues etc., but I don't like the surprise at the end. Especially if I don't like it, which I found was the case for BH's. There are too many quilts on my bucket list that I want to make to do mysteries that I don't like at the end. I have since discovered that I like a sew-along much better where I can see the finished quilt and decide if I want to play along.

TheMerkleFamily 11-13-2019 04:37 PM

I have participated in one mystery (Bonnie Hunter On Ringo Lake) two years ago when I just started quilting/sewing and I learned so very much as a newbie. I recommend all young and/or beginner sewists consider joining a mystery as it helps you develop skills and confidence. I may join again in the future but my bucket list of of quilts will take a priority this year.

To answer your question - No, I'm not always in love with the final layout/look of mystery quilts but that's the fun of it! You never know what you're going to end up with but you're sure to learn something and maybe push your skills :)

pocoellie 11-13-2019 05:20 PM

I've actually haven't done a mystery quilt, although I do download the instructions, because one of these days I'll have time to make it. LOL

SusieQOH 11-13-2019 06:11 PM

Good question.
I was all set to do the newest BH mystery but a board member told me that hers have a million pieces and I'm not sure if that's something I want to do.
I need to go on her site and check them out. She's new to me.