Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Name this please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/name-please-t314253.html)

sewingpup 02-14-2021 06:04 AM

Is it possible the maker of the quilt, made her own templates? My grandmother often made her own patterns for clothes and she used cardboard ceral boxes to make her templates for quilts like double wedding ring, grand moters fan, etc. I remember standing on the table when I was about 5 while she pinned newspaper to me to make a pattern and then cut down an old wool adult coat someone had given her to make a coat for me. Stitched up that coat on her old singer treadle as she did all her stitching. My other great aunt only baked in her old wood stove. Nummy chicken, cakes, cookies, you name it...Canned her own venison....oh my...those oldster's knew how to do survive.

Kelsie 02-14-2021 08:26 AM

Well I got a good laugh from this. I went to the string and story link that you provided and scrolled down just a smidge and read the warning that apparently HollyAnne not only wrote the pattern for this but she also designed it. How old would that make her?

JenniePenny 02-14-2021 09:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made a quilt top with these blocks several years ago. (Maltese Cross, even though that name will bring up several other blocks, too.). I elongated the look of the green leaves by framing the outside perimeter of the top with a white border with green triangles. Creates a circular effect with only straight lines.

SuzSLO 02-14-2021 10:53 AM

I found the block in Jinny Beyer’s Quilter’s Album of Patchwork Patterns (2009). It is called Papa’s Delight and was designed by Clara Stone and published is her Practical Needlework pamphlet in 1906. You can look at all the patterns in this pamphlet here: http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org...atterns.nw.pdf

The one difference between your quilt and the pieces in Papa’s Delight is that your quilt has a larger center square.

toogie 02-14-2021 02:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
SuzSLO thank you for the link. I am still looking at all the blocks, but I found Papa's Delight. I have passed on the info to Patsy, thank you.

Study these pictures. The red and white quilt is one Pasty's mother-in-law made for her 1957 wedding. I think the block is the same pieces as the earlier quilt, but just arranged differently. What do you think? I know the homemaker of that era had to be creative, whether it be with food or fabric, everything was used, nothing was wasted.

maryb119 02-14-2021 02:35 PM

It reminds me of a Tilt a whirl at the fair.

lolagrace 02-14-2021 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by toogie (Post 8461006)
SuzSLO thank you for the link. I am still looking at all the blocks, but I found Papa's Delight. I have passed on the info to Patsy, thank you.

Study these pictures. The red and white quilt is one Pasty's mother-in-law made for her 1957 wedding. I think the block is the same pieces as the earlier quilt, but just arranged differently. What do you think? I know the homemaker of that era had to be creative, whether it be with food or fabric, everything was used, nothing was wasted.

I love the red & white quilt, I have always thought 2 color quilts are so striking.

Barb in Louisiana 02-14-2021 05:11 PM

Once again, these ladies have come through with the pattern. When I see the 2 color quilt versus the multicolor, I can see why it is hard to recognize them being the same pattern. They look totally different.

SuzSLO 02-15-2021 06:15 AM

Actually, the red and white quilt is a different pattern than the multi-color quilt, although quite similar. The multi-color quilt is on point within the block and the red quilt is not.

toogie 02-15-2021 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO (Post 8461174)
Actually, the red and white quilt is a different pattern than the multi-color quilt, although quite similar. The multi-color quilt is on point within the block and the red quilt is not.

I beg to differ. Both blocks are set straight, not on point. The center square is turned on point in one and the bell shape is toward the corner. The red and white the center square is set straight and the bell shape in on top, bottom, sides. Both blocks are set straight, square.