Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   names of quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/names-quilts-t184505.html)

athenascooter 03-30-2012 09:09 PM

names of quilts

I have seen many quilts that I would love to make and thought it would be nice if you could let us know the name of the quilt, designed by or what book it is in.

sewbeadit 03-30-2012 11:50 PM

This comes up once in a while. Yes it is nice to know the name and or designer. Some people list it and some don't, we can only wish.

QM 03-31-2012 12:24 AM

That is a good idea in general, although some of us mainly do our own designs or traditional ones.

hopetoquilt 03-31-2012 04:00 AM

I have found that if you skim through the entire thread, it eventually gets posted.

ckcowl 03-31-2012 04:40 AM

many people when they make quilts (even if they follow a pattern) still give the quilt a name of their own---personalize it---seldom could you really find the pattern from the name a person gives their quilt- unless they designed the pattern and are trying to market it.
i seldom use commercial patterns for a quilt- although i may incorporate some components (such as a stained glass block)in my quilt-
even when i do use someone's pattern i put my own spin on it-
the 'man-cave' quilt i posted pics of recently everyone has been ooohing & ahhhing over is named----'sunset at the cabin'
doing a search of that would not find you anything close to my quilt-
i don't think that is (uncommon)
i generally don't put the name of the quilt on my post because then people do go looking for it & i wind up getting tons of messages - some even telling me i was (deceiving) or posted it WRONG because when they did a search they did not find it---
so, i will more than likely seldom share the name i give a quilt- i guess when i do share the name i need to also stress in the post that searching for it will not be successful...

flhomeschoolmom 03-31-2012 04:56 AM

A lot of quilts do end up getting their name personalized. One example is the baby quilt I'm working on. It's a traditional Irish Chain design, but the squares are made up of 1 1/4 inch postage stamp squares and 3 1/2 inch solid squares. My squares result in the quilt not forming the traditional 12 inch blocks, the end up being 9 inch blocks. And certain fabrics in the quilt are sentimental, belonging to the baby's grandfather who has passed away. And including those fabrics resulted in the quilt having to be a "scrappy" quilt. Thus, when the quilt gets finished, and I do intend to post pictures of it, it's name will be altered. It will be __________________'s Irish Chain, or that's my intentions right now.

Historically many diffrent quilt patterns were known by several diffrent names. I'm slightly obsessed with both quilting and history, so I spent months learning about the history of diffrent quilt patterns. It was both fascinating and enlightning.