Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Names (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/names-t248796.html)

ocydroma 06-20-2014 10:13 PM

Names

If I'm posting this in the wrong area please forgive me.

i was wondering if people give your machines names? And if so what's it's name and why did you name it that? I just thought this would be a fun thing to do.

I really haven't given much thought about naming mine until last week. Her name is Charlene after a wonder lady I have become friends with on this forum. She is so up beat, positive and encouraging so I felt that would be perfect!!

can't wait to hear about others!!

earthwalker 06-20-2014 10:23 PM

My everyday machine (vintage of course!) is called Jasper....when I worked in the book-trade I shared an office with my much older boss ....despite being quite senior in years, he was very computer savvy....everytime he was doing something, but his computer was too slow I'd hear "Come on Jasper" over the room divider......used to make me smile - so Jasper it is.

IrishgalfromNJ 06-21-2014 02:59 AM

I have a Vesta (a Singer 3400XL), a Martha (Bernina 1530 and the name of previous owner), an Elsie (a Singer 401 and the name of previous owner) and a Bronwyn (a Juki serger). I used the names Vesta and Bronwyn just because I like them. I think naming your machines is fun.

humbird 06-21-2014 04:31 AM

I have 4 machines. I call #1 "the ole Necchi" #2 "Little Elna" #3 "Gram's ole Singer" (belonged to my late MIL) and #4 "King" The King is a treadle. King is the brand.

Nammie to 7 06-21-2014 05:42 AM

Of course he has a name -- my Bernina is named Phil. I know he is male as he does not multitask but will perform one task at a time beautifully. You have to treat him nicely and clean him up every now and then and he will work like crazy for you. My pickup is named Tom T Ruck.

soccertxi 06-21-2014 05:57 AM

I didn't name my machines until I got a gently used Gammill. She and I were NOT friends at 1st-partly to settings by the previous owner-not bad, just didnt fit me- and operator ignorance. When we MADE friends, I named her Lucy ,,because I had to repeat over and over and over and over 'righty tighty, lefty loosy' when we were making friends. After Lucy, I name them if one comes to me. My 1st 301 is Harriette after my maternal grand mother. One of my Featherweights is Betsy. That one I just like. My Bernina I piece on daily is ,alas, nameless. She is great machine tho!

lfletcher 06-21-2014 06:04 AM

I named my Gammill "Gabby". Seemed appropriate. My husband and friends would probably agree.

CorgiNole 06-21-2014 06:52 AM

My Bernina 830 is Bernadette, my 801 is Penny, my son's Featherweight is Amy Farah Fowler and my Brother is Beverly (Leonard's mother for those who see the theme - because she is more sophisticated - computerized with lots of stitches). My Sweet Sixteen is Mollie because she was wrapped so pretty in pink when she arrived.

Cheers, K

Kitsie 06-21-2014 08:43 AM

My old Pfaff is "Steady Eddy" and my "new" one is "Guilty Quilter" because I felt guilty when I bought him! Funny how that feeling fades so quickly!

franc36 06-21-2014 10:39 AM

My Featherweight is the only machine I have named. Her name is Quilty because I do all of the piecing of my quilts on her.