Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   NECCHI SERGER (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/necchi-serger-t50246.html)

Pzazz 06-18-2010 12:10 PM

Anyone know anything about Necchi machines?

Patti

Prism99 06-18-2010 12:26 PM

Would this be a new machine or an older one?

Pzazz 06-18-2010 01:44 PM

Not sure....my boss found an ad locally for one. Just says never been used...paid $425, asking $250.

Patti

lab fairy 06-18-2010 02:21 PM

Is it all mechanical or electronic? 3/4 thread or more? Does it have differential feed?) I love my serger (I have a totally mechanical 3/4 thread w/ differential feed from Pfaff that is not available anymore. Although it is louder than some of the newer ones, I would not trade it for anything but then I don't do anything fancy with a serger and really have no plans to.) Necchi has made some really good mechanical machines in the past (I regret selling a really basic one I had) but I think it really comes down to "price, purpose, where does it get to go for maintenance/repair"? Sometimes what looks like a great deal really is, but try it out if you can. Get some lycra, interlock, even woven fabrics, to test. A lot of people think sergers are supposed to be like a sewing machine and they aren't. Don't expect it to sew sharp/tight curves easily, etc. And circles are very different as well.

Pzazz 06-18-2010 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
Is it all mechanical or electronic? 3/4 thread or more? Does it have differential feed?) I love my serger (I have a totally mechanical 3/4 thread w/ differential feed from Pfaff that is not available anymore. Although it is louder than some of the newer ones, I would not trade it for anything but then I don't do anything fancy with a serger and really have no plans to.) Necchi has made some really good mechanical machines in the past (I regret selling a really basic one I had) but I think it really comes down to "price, purpose, where does it get to go for maintenance/repair"? Sometimes what looks like a great deal really is, but try it out if you can. Get some lycra, interlock, even woven fabrics, to test. A lot of people think sergers are supposed to be like a sewing machine and they aren't. Don't expect it to sew sharp/tight curves easily, etc. And circles are very different as well.

Excellent advice. This is my boss that is looking. If she does decide to go look at it, I think I will offer to go with her. I have lots of fabric variety to take to "test drive" it with.

Patti

lab fairy 06-18-2010 03:25 PM

Let me know what you think. I have fond memories of my "little Necchi man" (the dealer in Oklahoma City who was so nice to us).

Oh, and don't forget to take some thread and needles with you. Sometimes people are selling machines and don't have any of these things (especially if they've inherited them). You don't actually need to take cones just several bobbins (I prefer to use different colors when test driving a serger). I'd throw in a pair of tweezers and a needle threader just in case (can you tell my eyes are getting pickier, this used to never be a consideration and I'm not THAT old). :P

Pzazz 06-18-2010 03:29 PM

Lab fairy...

I am chuckling here with you. If my serger needs the bottom looper rethreaded, I have to do it in the daylight. A flashlight doesn't help as I need two hands to pass the thread thru'...no hands left to hold a flashlight. LOL

Patti

lab fairy 06-18-2010 03:32 PM

I can't agree more. I now have a desk light with a daylight bulb that I use to backlight the machine when I'm threading it (the light in the sewing area stinks at my house).

butterflywing 06-18-2010 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pzazz
Anyone know anything about Necchi machines?

Patti

i had a necchi mechanical, with cams, for 40 years. i wore down two sets of brushes from constant use. when i added a computerized machine, i put that one in the beach house for another 10 years and when i absolutely fried it, i gave to my repairman for whatever parts he could use. it was a birthday present from my father when i was 14. smartest man i ever knew.

edit: NOT A SERGER. LOL. SERGERS WERE NOT EVEN INVENTED.

CarrieAnne 06-18-2010 05:38 PM

I bought an older Necci sewing machine at a garage sale for $3.00, and it sews BEAUTIFULLY! One of my favorite machines, but sorry, I know nothing about sergers!