Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need advice on buying a sewing machine for quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-buying-sewing-machine-quilting-t172595.html)

CanoePam 12-20-2011 07:39 AM

I have a Bernina 440. The only reason I added it to my beloved Bernina 1031 was to get the Bernina Stitch Regulator. I used the BSR for about 3 years, doing only smaller items (laptop quilts or baby quilts) because that was all I was capable of pushing around. However I found that the BSR was more "training wheels" than really required. Good free motion quilting without a stitch regulator is possible; it just takes practice. Don't get me wrong - I love my 440! It handles heirloom sewing with french seams in batiste as well as 4-6 layers of heavy canvas. I use it or my Featherweight for piecing, but I bought a separate quilting machine for FMQ. I don't have room or interest in a long arm, so I bought a Handiquilter Sweet 16 sitdown system. No stitch regulator, but I can do nice quilting on it (and I'm not expert!).

There are times when dedicated, specialized machine are the way to go. If you want a lot of throat space, you will be limited in the machines you can get. If you want decorative stitches, you are limited in throat space. Your choice which is more important to you.

Pam

#1piecemaker 12-20-2011 07:42 AM

I was wondering this myself. But, I can't get over the thought of being able to "drive" a longarm. that is what I
m working towards?!!

Rose Marie 12-20-2011 07:58 AM

Ive been quilting small quilts on my Sapphire 830 with the 10 in throat. No stitch regulator since Bernina is the only domestic machine that has one. But at the price they charge you could buy a long arm.
I did buy a frame and a strait stitch Baby Lock Jane and a stitch regulator. Love the regulator but the small 9 in throat machine has a lot of drawbacks. Wish I could afford at least a mid arm machine but still to expensive.
I still have to do walking foot quilting on my Sapphire since the small space for quilting with Jane is just impossible to do long length strait lines and in the ditch stitches. You can turn the quilt lenght wise to do long lines but would be free motion not walking foot.
The only way you can put a stitch regulator on a strait stitch machine is to put it one a frame.

Taino Jan 12-20-2011 09:02 AM

Have fun machine shopping! My advice is to make a list of what you want on a machine, go to all of the local / regional dealers and try out the machines that either make the list or come closest. Ask other quilters who they recommend as service dealer (lqs and quilt guild are good sources). I have a Janome and love it but it may not be your choice.

Happy Holidays.

sewmary 12-20-2011 09:05 AM

This fall I purchased a Pfaff Ambition, their entry level computerized machine. It is under $1000, has speed control so you can slow the machine down, has IDT (why I love Pfaff) which keeps the fabric feeding in evenly top and bottom. I don't know the throat space (am at work) but it has turned out to be a fine machine.

yayaquilts 12-20-2011 09:10 AM

I have a new Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0--my hubby bought it for my birthday in June and I love it. It is my 3rd Pfaff machine. I've sewn on Pfaffs since 1988!! It has a wide throat area, 10"--sew slow feature, their famous IDT that keeps both top and bottom fabrics feeding evenly as it sews. Although it doesn't claim to have a stitch regulator, when I recently quilted on it, it actually seemed to have a stitch regulator. I was so pleased with how even and uniform my quilting stitches were!! I traded in my old Pfaff Creative 7570 with embroidery, so not sure of exact price, i think it was in the ballpark of Just under $3000, but much cheaper than the top of the line Bernina.

Auj 12-24-2011 08:36 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I went to my LQS which is a Sew and Vac place and talked with a good friend from guild who works there. She talked me through and I decided that a stitch regulator might not be on the top of the list anymore. I guess I just need to practice! (A LOT!) They sell Pfaff and Viking machines and another LQS down the street sells Bernina. So I will do more research and see what I can get for the money I can afford. Now I am starting to save my pennies.

Hattie Shorts 12-24-2011 10:10 AM

I found that the Babylock Quilters' Professional/Brother Jane works perfectly for me....it has a large work space and a foot control which works well...I use it this machine just for FMQ...finally found a machine that I can depend on...it sews forward and back and that is about all, thread cutter...and drop feed dogs....I paid $900 for it....I just bought a new Horizon and I read here that some one loves it for quilting....I probably will just use it as my sewing only machine....fun to have a new machine....Good luck....take some samples to the dealer...top, batt, backing and spend lots of time trying out what works for you....Hattie

carslo 12-25-2011 05:49 AM

I have a Sapphire 830 it has a large harp area and I have done about 30 quilts over the past year on it. I have FMQ a 12 foot by 12 foot quilt on it with very good results. This machine has taken my quilting to another level. I meander my quilts but have started to try curly q's and other simplier patterns on the borders - I am trying to work my way up to maybe a feather someday etc. I must tell you this machine is a work horse and I am likely not the gentlest person in the world and this puppy just keeps on humming. It is on a two week vacation while I am in Virginia.
Good luck with your research and happy sewing when you finally make a decision.

romanojg 12-25-2011 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat (Post 4796942)
I know lots of quilters love the BSR. However, every time I have tried it it has NEVER worked right for me.

I have my Pfaffs. I much prefer the IDT for regular piecing/sewing than a BSR. It was just a matter of a little practive to get my stitches even.

So: try them out first.

ali

Georgia Bonsteel did a show with a professional long arm quilter and said that no professional quilter that she knew used the BSR; they said they could do just as well without one even when quilting on a domestic machine. I have a Kenmore/Janmome and a Viking Mega quilter and a Viking Ruby; none have the BSR, all great to quilt with; the last two have 9in and 91/2 in throat to make it even easier. Maybe a test run would be the way to go before buying a machine with the BSR to see if you really do need it. Try many machines to see what you can get in your area.