Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need advice on finishing a wall hanging (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-finishing-wall-hanging-t310048.html)

mim 03-07-2020 12:37 PM

need advice on finishing a wall hanging

1 Attachment(s)
this wasa border exchange. I did the center with colors of earth, sky and water. the final border colors are olive green and mustard shades. The piece is 36" square. I want to add 6 inches on a side. Any ideas for colors and patterns?? I did this in the late 90s and it has been in my UFO basket since.

donna13350 03-07-2020 12:41 PM

I would try to match the purple in your 4 cornertsones ..I think it would set the whole quilt off nicely. It doesn't have to be the same fabric, just in the same color..it will be far enough removed from the cornerstones that it will still look great. My second choice would be the mustard yellow.

nativetexan 03-07-2020 12:43 PM

that is beautiful! I second Donna's suggestion. Lovely :wave:

QuiltE 03-07-2020 01:09 PM

Do you really need it to be 42"?
Instead, I would bind it and call it done.
Plus Bonus ... by keeping with your 36", one WOF will be enough for the backing.
It will still be a nice size for a wall hanging or table topper.

Agree with the earlier suggestion, but use that purple go-with for the binding.

QuiltnNan 03-08-2020 04:29 AM

because the last border looks like flowers, I would not want to take away from that. So I'd add another narrow border before another pieced border... but not sure what. Maybe more pinwheels?

juliasb 03-08-2020 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 8367116)
Do you really need it to be 42"?
Instead, I would bind it and call it done.
Plus Bonus ... by keeping with your 36", one WOF will be enough for the backing.
It will still be a nice size for a wall hanging or table topper.

Agree with the earlier suggestion, but use that purple go-with for the binding.

I agree with you. The table topper idea is great. Sometimes a piece is meant to be a small quilt and this one looks like is should be just were it is at right now. Beautiful quilt.

QuiltE 03-08-2020 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb (Post 8367292)
I agree with you. The table topper idea is great. Sometimes a piece is meant to be a small quilt and this one looks like is should be just were it is at right now. Beautiful quilt.

Thinking again, if anything, I would just oversize the binding so that it can "frame" it all up nicely, and not be skimpy!

Like duhhhh ... where was my math? 6" on each side would mean 48", not 42".

SusieQOH 03-08-2020 04:07 PM

My gosh, what a beauty!!! Your border is just fantastic. I wouldn't change a thing!!
But that doesn't answer your question, does it? :)
Love your work, Mim!

RedGarnet222 03-09-2020 11:14 AM

I would revisit the center aqua and white colors to make a set of flying geese that pointed inwards.

mim 03-14-2020 08:50 AM

Thank you all for the great Ideas -- I hadn't thought of any of them. When this virus stuff is over I will get some dark purple and some more White on white. Both are hard to get unless in a good quilt shop. I have lavender and think I may alternate dark and light geese --we will see. Meanwhile we are laying low until we get back to Maine. Finally got a canister of wipes yesterday -- I didn't want to get on a plane without them.

Thanks again -- what would we do without this board????