Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need advice on fusible web (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-fusible-web-t43459.html)

Justok 04-21-2010 11:53 AM

I'm fusing a piece onto a background square. The background square has been starched 5 times,(that works very nicely instead of using stabilizer). My problem is my fusible web will not iron onto the starched square. I don't know the fusible brand other than it came from Joann's and came on a bolt. It is medium weight. Do I need to wash out the starch? Thanks for listening

amma 04-21-2010 12:29 PM

I starch my fabric pretty heavily and fuse pieces onto it. I use wonder under and it works fine. Try using steam to fuse it, or spray the applique with a little water to help set the adhesive :D

marsye 04-21-2010 12:35 PM

Does it have a paper backing? Did you peel the paper off? :shock:

lots2do 04-21-2010 12:42 PM

I really hate that stuff and don't have good luck with it so I won't give you any advice. But I will 'listen' hard to everyone else's.

sharon b 04-21-2010 01:03 PM

I wouldn't think the starch would stop it either . I use a damp wash clothe over the fabric when I am attaching it with the fusible to the base fabric

Justok 04-21-2010 01:23 PM

I tried the steam and water it helped enough until I get it satin stiched down. I tried the fusible on non-starched fabric and it didn't adhere very well either, I am assuming the fusibel web is at fault. So I think I will go get some wonder under and try it. Thanks Amma and everyone else who were generous with your help, I knew I could count on this board for fast and good advice.

Oklahoma Suzie 04-21-2010 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Justok
I tried the steam and water it helped enough until I get it satin stiched down. I tried the fusible on non-starched fabric and it didn't adhere very well either, I am assuming the fusibel web is at fault. So I think I will go get some wonder under and try it. Thanks Amma and everyone else who were generous with your help, I knew I could count on this board for fast and good advice.

I think wonder under is the best

Barb_MO 04-21-2010 04:58 PM

Which one is more pliable. I have always used Heat N Bond lite and doing some fusible appliqués which I will then b stitching down and quilting, wondering if there is something that would be softer than the heat n bond lite.

Prism99 04-21-2010 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO
Which one is more pliable. I have always used Heat N Bond lite and doing some fusible appliqués which I will then b stitching down and quilting, wondering if there is something that would be softer than the heat n bond lite.

Steam-a-Seam Lite might be softer. I would have to do a direct comparison of the two to be sure, though.

marsye 04-22-2010 08:54 AM

I use wonder under 805 and I don't use a stabilizer anymore. I discovered you can machine stitch without it and you don't to deal with cutting the paper away on the back afterwards.