Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need advice on Grace Start-Right (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-grace-start-right-t199445.html)

schaffers 09-03-2012 05:51 AM

Need advice on Grace Start-Right

I am thinking about purchasing a Grace Start-Right quilt frame. Does anyone have one? Like it? Have complaints? Would you recommend it? I don't do commercial sewing and have a Baby Lock Pro so I know it will work with it. I just plan to do my own sewing. Do you think this would be good for me?

sewplease 09-03-2012 12:54 PM

I don't have one, but hope you get lots of answers from people who do. I've wondered the same thing. Are you a member of the yahoo group for Grace frames?

alleyoop1 09-04-2012 04:14 AM

My only advice is to be 100% sure it will work with your sewing machine. Then go for it!

schaffers 09-04-2012 05:59 AM

Well, as you can see, I didn't get many responses. Yes, I am a member of the yahoo group for Grace frames. There were some responses there that were all positive. I know my machine works with it because it is on the list. I am sure leaning in the direction of that frame. The price is what appeals to me. I don't plan to do work for others or get a long arm. I have an old handi frame that I got about a year ago. I liked that but it isn't as smooth as the Grace. I would like to find a dealer that has a sample of the start-right to check the feel of that one. I tried the bigger frame and it was sooo smooth. I will let you know if and when I purchase one.

sewplease 09-04-2012 08:10 PM

Any big quilt shows near you soon? I've seen it at the Int'l. Quilt Festival here in the Houston area. It seemed pretty sturdy. I'm wondering, tho, for about another $100, if it wouldn't be better in the longrun to go for the wooden queen size frame. But then, I don't even have a spare $100, much less $699, lol.

Solomae 09-05-2012 05:24 PM

I wanted to reply to you because I have recently purchased both a Start Right Frame and a Grace Queen Frame. I tried both with my Juki 2010Q and much prefer the Start Right. The carriage is smoother than the Grace Queen. The Start Right has a dual wheel type carriage and it is much smoother than the Grace Queen IMHO. The drawback with the Start Right is that it will only take up to a 13" throat machine, whereas the wooden frame will take up to an 18" throat. I think the Start Right frame is perfect for the shorter throat machine. It is WAY easier to put together than the wooden frame is also. I kept the Start Right and sold the Grace Queen frame. If I had room for a larger frame, I would get the Majestic, which is a king size frame but more similar to the Start Right, with the same carriage type. Hope this helps.

sewplease 09-06-2012 07:24 PM

Thank you so much for letting us know about your experience with these frames. I had gotten the general impression that most people did like their Start Right, but assumed that the Queen frame would be better. Your comments are encouraging to me because my budget is limited. I would be thrilled to eventually get a Start Right and 9 inch machine. :-)