Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need advice on how to outline picture in panel (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-how-outline-picture-panel-t207296.html)

Geri B 11-30-2012 07:12 AM

found the panel at benartex, but can't seem to find a store near me that carried it, at least thru their store locator search.......boo-hoo.......how else can I find it????any ideas

Dina 11-30-2012 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 5689454)
found the panel at benartex, but can't seem to find a store near me that carried it, at least thru their store locator search.......boo-hoo.......how else can I find it????any ideas

I just googled A Cat For All Seasons panel and found it several places. Here is one.

http://www.quiltsandquilts.com/brows...el/4,4832.html

Dina

Krisb 11-30-2012 08:31 AM

It's at many on line stores. Just google "A Cat For All Seasons".

Quercus Rubra 11-30-2012 08:57 AM

Well I agree this is a wonderful panel to receive!!! Me personally I would hand quilt with some "echo stitching", and thus foregoing the sewing machine. You would have more control and manuveriblity (sp.?) that way. I think with a nice thin "Warm & Natural" batting with a plain muslin back would make it a wonderful wallhanging. A couple of ideas that might put in it the "pro" column is:

1.) If hand quilting, you can take with you to appointments to work on as you wait.

2.) Handquilting is portable. I do lots of hand stitiching in the van as most everything is close to an hour away from me. Helped me finish 8 UFO's that way and hand piece some pre-cut tulips together for an queen size applique quilt.

3.) It will keep your lap warm during the winter as you work on it.

4.) You can work on it while watching Tv in the evenings. You would be surprised how much you can get done as you "listen" to the Tv and spending time with the family as you can take it to the room where everyone hangs out together.

5.) You get the extra satisfaction of doing it by hand. Hand Quilting is another skill to add to your "treasure chest" of "preservation" of an art form that is not seen as much as most like to long arm or machine sew their quilts. It won't matter how many stitches you start with in an inch just that they be close to even in length.

Well those are my thoughts.... hope they help you in your decision making.

Tricia

Tartan 11-30-2012 09:49 AM

I would use my walking foot to stitch all the frames to stabilize the sandwich. I would then FMQ inside the frames but if you are not confident to do that because the frames are done you could use your regular foot and stitch slowly around the shapes flipping the quilt around as you go.

Dina 11-30-2012 03:16 PM

Thanks again for the suggestions. I have never hand quilted. Not sure I am ready to try. Got to think about that. I had planned on stitching around the frames already. I know I can do that. I am not quite ready to experiment, but I am getting closer. I have about two more hours of work on the binding of my current quilt, then I will have to make some decisions. I may even wait until my sister gets back in town. She has been quilting for 15 years....I have only been quilting for about three. :)

Dina

wishfulthinking 11-30-2012 03:51 PM

Here's what I would do, I think. I'd outline stitch all the straight border/sashing looking parts and any other shapes that have enough long straight lines, and there's a lot of them. The other shapes you'll have to do with the darning foot. Feed dogs up will allow you more control when you do this and you can do it with practice. Then, I'd do a small stipple in the negative space around each motif which will make the cats and flower pots and flowers really pop. Good luck with it. Looks like a really fun project.

ube quilting 11-30-2012 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne (Post 5689203)
I've tried quilting around shapes using a hopping foot and the feed dogs down, but it required a lot of concentration and the stitches were definitely not as I would have liked - some were long, some were short. Since the cats are large and they have long straight edges, I would definitely use a regular foot with the feed dogs up and just sew slowly while turning the quilt when necessary.

This would be my choice too.

I would use basting spray on this one.

I have done a lot of panels and this on does not look to complicated. If you can slow your machine motor down it will work easily, if not you can practice going slow on some scrap first. Draw some gentle curves on some fabric and practice following them keeping the machine running slow. On some projects I even take one stitch at a time.

You will have to turn your quilt alot just take time and don't rush it. Be sure to have the needle down when turning corners or sharper angles.

One thing to make this an easier project is to not even try to outline every little thing on the quilt. Stick to the major parts that you want to high light. All those small leaves in the bowl of flowers don't need to be quilted, or those small white flowers or the bee. All the other parts look very do-able.

Take your time and have fun with it. It is a cool cat panel. I would like to do this one myself!
peace

lfletcher 12-01-2012 05:17 AM

I no longer drop my feed dogs when I quilt on my domestic machine. Instead I loosen the pressure on the pressure foot so the material will move easily underneath the needle. I go very slow and it seems to work well for outlining. By not dropping the feed dogs, I have stitch regulation.

ccthomas 12-01-2012 06:56 AM

Question: What thread color would everyone use? varigated? shade of gray? change thread colors for various sections?