Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Advice, looking to purchase a machine... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-looking-purchase-machine-t186569.html)

kittyannart 04-19-2012 08:05 AM

Need Advice, looking to purchase a machine...

I have a Viking Designer SE already, use it for everything *but* I'm looking to purchase a machine I can leave set up for FMQing, the SE is set up for embroidery a lot of the time and I hate breaking it down when I have a few minutes to quilt!

That said, I have $1000 to spend on a machine but which one?! There seem to be so many on the market that are sold with FMQing feet. I have Bernina, Janome, Baby Lock, Viking and Brother dealers here in town so lots to choose from (nearest Pfaff dealer is 2 hrs away).

I've gone by the dealers and looked around a bit, except for Bernina as I figured I wouldn't get far with only a $1000! =0)

The only requirements I have in a machine are:
*needle up/down
*knee lever or sensor foot such as Vikings have
*thread cutter would be nice but do not have to have

I've had a Pfaff previous to the Viking, have become very spoiled by all the goodies on the SE! I also have a vintage Singer in a cabinet, it's a big black monster that was given to me by a friend's great aunt. I've toyed with the idea of trying to FMQ on it as I've heard good things about the old Singers.

Anyhoo, now that I've broke your ears - please do tell me what you FMQ on and why you like your machine!

RDM 04-19-2012 08:15 AM

Not a Janome owner but many friends are and LOVE theirs. Another cosideration is Juki with it's automatic cutter. Not sure if that's an option where you live. Janome may be my next machine as I've heard great customer service stories. Make a list of must have options then test drive all that meet price and needs. Good luck-sounds like you're doing your homework.

MadQuilter 04-19-2012 08:29 AM

You may want to look at a straight-stitch quilting machine such as the Pfaff Grandquilter, Juki 980?, Brother 1600.....they are pretty much all the same machine and should be available in your price range. They only do straight stitches but they do them really fast. The Grandquilter does not lower the feed dogs but does have a cover plate. These are mechanical machines which require a bit of fiddeling with tension (until you find the right setting) and they have a large harp.

NJ Quilter 04-19-2012 08:33 AM

What about the Viking Sapphire? It has all the goodies you're looking for; feet should (?) be interchangeable for you; shorter learning curve? My friend bought hers a couple of years ago for about the same price. And I do love my Viking Platinum as well.

kittyannart 04-19-2012 08:40 AM

MadQuilter - I had thought about a straight stitch only but the tension fiddly thing might be too much for me! Have seen lots of posts about the tension issue.

kittyannart 04-19-2012 08:45 AM

NJ Quilter - I did sew on all three Sapphires the dealer had, 835/850/875. I liked the 875 best of course =0) as it has the thread cutter and, to me, sewed a lot better, and sounded very different than the 835. The 850 was great but no thread cutter. The 875 is $600 more than the 850 to get the cutter and a few more stitches. The 850 was $500 more than I have to spend. The 835 sounded odd and felt very flimsy, at least to me. Nice harp area on all.

kittyannart 04-19-2012 08:47 AM

RDM - I've heard the same as you re the customer service for Janomes and there are lots of models to choose from. I have the day off work today so just may swing by the dealer and give a couple a try. The dealer has the big 7700 right up front when you walk in, tried it last time I was there, but at $2500 is way outta my price range.

Candace 04-19-2012 09:03 AM

If you have a vintage Singer sitting there, why wouldn't you try it out first before buying a new machine? I love my vintage machines for FMQ.

RUSewing 04-19-2012 09:08 AM

I've a Juki since 1999 and it's still a good machine.

kittyannart 04-19-2012 09:22 AM

Today, 01:03 PMCandace

Candace, is there anything special I'd need to do to the machine to use it to FMQ? I'd love to give a try!