Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need advice on new machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-new-machine-t252947.html)

DBarnes 09-02-2014 12:59 PM

Need advice on new machine

Hi all, I'm new here. I'm itching to upgrade from my 30-yr-old Singer. I'd like some advice on a good medium-priced, semi-fancy model (some fancy stitches would be cool). I am pretty sure I want more space to the right of the needle and would prefer a model that's easy to thread so that my daughter won't pop out the bobbin casing (like she has on the Singer about 13 times). Any suggestions?--Dayna

loisf 09-02-2014 01:04 PM

Love, love, love my Janome 6600P. It was about $1,500 when I bought it 3 years ago. Tons of fancy stitches, start/stop button, top loading bobbin, thread cutter, needle threader... everything I need and more.

Silver Needle 09-03-2014 01:44 AM

Love the Bernina. You will have to pay more for wider throat. If you go with a 9mm zig zag capability you will have more stitch options and can probably add an embroidery module later if desired.

Sandygirl 09-03-2014 02:35 AM

Define "medium priced". What is you budget range?

Sandy

coffeecozy 09-03-2014 02:53 AM

i love my pfaff performance 5.0 and its very medium priced next to the creative sensation pro :-)
it has lots of space to the right of the needle, has beautiful stitches and i can create my own stitches it has the idt which i love, the presser foot lifts slightly when you pause in the needle down position which is great for machine applique and it does very nice freemotion stitching.

NJ Quilter 09-03-2014 03:09 AM

Viking girl here. Mine is about 10+ years old now but still has more capability than I'll ever use. But it has needle up/down; start/stop button (that I've yet managed to get comfortable using!); also needle threader that I've never been impressed with; does minor embroidery. I have never had a day's worth of trouble with it. I paid about $1200 at the time but was given a reasonable deal then as well from the 'list' price.

citruscountyquilter 09-03-2014 03:35 AM

I got a Janome 8900qcp this last year because it was getting very difficult to get parts for my 37 year old Viking. The 8900 has a large throat/harp area that is designed for quilting. I would suggest you try out the large harp machines from various brands before you make a decision. I really like the extra room even when I am piecing. It has more decorative stitches than I'll probably ever use. This machine is in the $3000 range.

Trene 09-03-2014 03:47 AM

Just got a Pfaff Quilt expression 4.2. My first non-mechanical machine. I test drove machines for over 18 months before deciding (lots of play dates and classes at LQSs). this won me over for the big throat, start stop, needle down AND location of the shop - less than 30 minutes with in-house repairs.

SingerSewer 09-03-2014 04:05 AM

New models are beginning to be shown and sold. You might check the pre-owned machines. There are lots of people who trade when a new and more interesting model appears on the market. Dealers usually give a warranty with their used machines. It might allow you to get more machine for your money spent.

athomenow 09-03-2014 09:05 AM

Viking lover here! I own 4 now and love them all for different reasons. My newest is actually the first new machine I've ever own, all the rest were preowned but great machine. The Sapphire 960Q has a large throat space, tons of quilting stitches and good alphabet font, is programmable and just a really great machine. I paid $2500, got the walking foot for free and the extended table that goes with it.