Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need advice on Notions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-notions-t88866.html)

Nanamoms 01-08-2011 11:03 PM

I'm trying to obtain the basic notions to begin quilting. So far, I have: rotary cutter, 18x24 self healing mat, 6x18 acrylic ruler, 6.5x6.5 square template and some circle templates. What should be my next purchases?

TIA!!!

quiltsRfun 01-08-2011 11:17 PM

Hate to say it but a seam ripper will come in handy. Are you machine or hand sewing? Needles, pins, scissors. A good beginners project would be a cute pincushion which will also come in handy. And the most obvious - fabric.

bluteddi 01-08-2011 11:59 PM

I agree... unforunately my seam ripper gets about as much use as my machine.....sigh

Nanamoms 01-09-2011 12:03 AM

I do have basic sewing notions. Have about 3 seam rippers but one is my fav...don't know what I'll do if I lose it. I have pin cushions, different type of straight pins, and scissors reserved just for fabric. I have been sewing most of my life and do machine embroidery so even have the little embroidery scissors.

Anything else?

luvTooQuilt 01-09-2011 12:12 AM

Sounds like you have the basics.. But there are so many other notions that are just handy..

Roxannes basting glue
Glue sticks
Wand magnet
thread catcher (mines an empty kleenex box)
specialty rulers
Stiletto ( Mines a wooden bamboo skewer)
marking pencils
Teflon sheet for appliques
Walking foot - MUST HAVE
Starch- ANOTHER MUST HAVE

CoventryUK 01-09-2011 01:32 AM

All notions are "must haves" aren't they?????? or is that just me???

Becky Crafts 01-09-2011 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
I do have basic sewing notions. Have about 3 seam rippers but one is my fav...don't know what I'll do if I lose it. I have pin cushions, different type of straight pins, and scissors reserved just for fabric. I have been sewing most of my life and do machine embroidery so even have the little embroidery scissors.

Anything else?

The quilters bent safety pins for when you sandwich the layers of the quilt together! I too sewed most of my life & used straight pins on a big quilt I'd made. There was such a bloodletting every time I tried to handle it, it's still not done!! However I did recently get it re-pinned correctly once I found out. Good luck! I'm sure you love it as we do!

Maia B 01-09-2011 02:53 AM

I won a quilt kit from Babylock that's surely worth $200 in notions and fabric and thread just for signing up for their e-newsletter. I didn't even realize there was a drawing or anything. Just got a call one day. All high quality useful stuff.

Tsanchez 01-09-2011 03:12 AM

You should purchase a 12 1/2 square and one of those pressing boards. You see them all the time with a cutting mat on one side and on the other side you can iron on. I would also have a good iron. I have three irons. One is the regular size ones. Another is the little iron with the small triangle. This one you can use if you want to do stained glass for paper piecing. Now my favorite iron is the new one that came out a couple of months ago. I bought it at Joann's when they had a 40% coupon. It's blue and has an adjustable head. I can't think of the name right off hand but I will get it and let you know the name of it. Then on books. One of the best quilt block book, and I use it all the time, is "501 Quilt Blocks". It is a wonderful book and you can change the patterns around so you don't use the same one on a quilt or you can make them all them same. It's very easy to use.

sewcrafty 01-09-2011 05:56 AM

My FAVORITE is the Shape n Cut by June Tailor. Cut all my blocks and strips with this. Have had it for years and if anything ever happened to it - would definitely repurchase!!