Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need advice for 'quick to teach' beginner projects.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-quick-teach-beginner-projects-t81564.html)

bobstassi 12-09-2010 06:35 AM

You might consider a "Soduku Quilt" it is based on the popular soduku puzzles. It is basically nine 9-patches sewn together with sashing in between. The patches in the 9-patches can be made any size. It would teach cutting and 1/4 inch seams and paying attention to patterns and placement.

bearisgray 12-09-2010 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by gemmyfrog
I like quiltbikers suggestion, I wish I had prepared like that. :thumbup:

I've looked for it twice - what was it?

stormatsea45 12-09-2010 06:48 AM

I think what you are doing is great! Your enthuiasim will be a key to the class. I think back to things I made in 4-H, and that was an easy draw string apron, pot holder, hemming a dish towel, which I wouldn't do now, pin cushion. I'd start with the sewing machine basics, cleaning and oiling, needles, using good thread, and then the new great tools of the trade we have now. I'd probably do a 4 or 9 patch pot holder or pillow, the folded coasters, a doll quilt depending on the age and interest of the group, pj bottoms. That should give you some ideas. Good luck, you're creating in the future of sewing/quilting! How exciting. :thumbup:

bearisgray 12-09-2010 06:58 AM

We hand pieced the blocks in the first quilting class I took.

I'm glad I learned how to make blocks that way - because now I know I can always have a small take-along project available - if I want one.

ambquilter 12-09-2010 07:10 AM

My first quilting class was a rag quilt. It was 4 weeks long. We were given a supply list when we joined the class. The 1st week we looked over the pattern, learned how to use a rotary cutter, and started cutting out our quilt blocks. Our homework was to have all the blocks cut before the second class. Our second class we learned to sew the X across the center. The third, we sew the blocks together. The 4th, we put the rows together and stitched the two outside rounds. Our throw was completed. We were all so proud. I know it sounds like a slow process but that was wonderful as a beginner because we didn't get overwhelmed.

After that, you still would have 5 weeks. The students would be more confident. They would be comfortable with their sewing machines and with everyone in the class. Then you could start the 4 block sampler wallhanging.

Angie

ckp11271 12-09-2010 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
We hand pieced the blocks in the first quilting class I took.

I'm glad I learned how to make blocks that way - because now I know I can always have a small take-along project available - if I want one.

Oh how I wish I was taught to hand piece first! After over 20 years of quilting, I still cannot hand piece to save my life! If I want a take-along project, I have to resort to knitting instead.

nab 12-09-2010 09:08 AM

Railed Fence. I think it is the easiest to do after you teach them basic rotary cutters and sewing machine basics. They will be able to practice cutting straight strips and sewing a 1/4 inch seam. They can do a lot of things with these blocks.

WVNana 12-09-2010 09:21 AM

You could make a set of wine glass coasters. I saw the tutorial on here.

Tulip 12-09-2010 09:30 AM

How good of you to teach those wanting to learn. My first offical quilting class was making a log cabin quilt. We would meet for two hours, start that lesson and have some homework, to be ready for the next week. The class lasted 8 weeks and included a field trip to the local amish fabric shop for fabric. It was a great opportunity to figure things out and have a go to person if I ran into a problem. I am still friends 25 years later with three of the ladies I took the class with.

momsbusy 12-09-2010 09:30 AM

I taught beginning quilters for just over a year. They were terrific. I would insist that they know their sewing machine and have them bring their manual. Many times people showed up and didn't know how to thread their machines or how to fill a bobbin. I also asked if they had ever used a rotary cutter. If not, I had them show up 30 minutes early for a quick freebie lesson. Another important task was showing them how to sew a good 1/4" seam (you can put a piece of masking tape on their machine as a guide). Once they learn the basics, the teaching is a joyful experience. Try a rail fence quilt or a log cabin quilt. Check out books by Quilt in a Day or by Alex Anderson. There are books specifically for beginner. Have fun!