Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need advice quilting leaves (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-quilting-leaves-t120231.html)

saf 05-02-2011 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by jillaine

Originally Posted by dd
How about an old fashioned quilting bee? Ask some friends over who quilt and ask them to help you finish this in time for the auction.

Ahem. The only "friends" I have who quilt are... you all... I actually don't know one local person who quilts. (play sappy violin music here...)

I'm going to try FMQ on a 12" test patch and see just how bad I am... (oops... my feed dog switch appears to be jammed... arrghhh)

Let you know how it goes. In the meantime, some add'l photos of the quilt, along with inspectors. (Sorry for the photo quality.)

No suggestions but love the quilt - not sure that this is what they meant about a quilting bee though. :lol:

pollyjvan9 05-02-2011 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Put your darning foot on, drop your feed dogs and then try a simple loop de loop. This is easier than a leaf or vine and almost always looks good. You can practice with a pencil and paper to get the feel for the design. I think you could probably learn to do this in just a couple of days. Remember when FMQ move your hands slowly and run the machine fast.

Loop de loop
[ATTACH=CONFIG]192047[/ATTACH]

gal288 05-02-2011 02:59 PM

Love the inspectors! Quilt is beautiful, can't wait to see your FMQ!

jillaine 05-02-2011 03:16 PM

(Can't get my feed dogs to drop; dogs are clearly annoyed that there is no canine inspector in the house.)

Irene Frohreich 05-02-2011 03:22 PM

If you want to hand quilt the leaves, just do a few of the leaves that connect and are near the center of the border.
Love the pattern and quilt.

pollyjvan9 05-02-2011 04:00 PM

Since you can't drop the feeddogs can you reduce the pressure on the pressure foot? If so, you can still free motion quilt.

By the way, I forgot to tell you that is a really great quilt!

gellybean402 05-02-2011 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
What about doing a lattice pattern, so it looks like the leaves are climbing on a trellis?

Ooo great idea!

jillaine 05-03-2011 02:53 AM

If I can't fix the machine (I *really* want to FMQ around the leaves), I'll try the lattice. Thanks!

And hopefully, I'll get a decent photo to share of the whole quilt.

jillaine 05-03-2011 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
Since you can't drop the feeddogs can you reduce the pressure on the pressure foot? If so, you can still free motion quilt.

By the way, I forgot to tell you that is a really great quilt!

Thanks, Polly. I will try reducing the pressure on the pressure foot. Still learning about this "new" machine. (Had it for a month.) I swear I've learned more about quilting and machines in the almost three months I've been on this board than in my 40 years of (off-and-on) sewing.

-- Jillaine

wishfulthinking 05-03-2011 03:13 AM

I've found that I don't really have to lower the feed dogs to free motion. Well, actually they won't lower. My machine is pretty old and I just have a plate that covers them. Anyway, you could try free motioning without lowering the feed dogs. I just did a whole bunch of free motion feathers that way.