Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need advice/suggestions on WIP Baby Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-suggestions-wip-baby-quilt-t167171.html)

auntpiggylpn 11-08-2011 08:01 PM

Need advice/suggestions on WIP Baby Quilt

3 Attachment(s)
I am making this baby quilt for one of my instructors at school that is due in December. I whipped this up this past weekend using a charm pack from the Terrain collection by Moda. Now my delimma: I have it sandwiched and pinned and I have already started quilting the snowballs. For some reason, I didn't measure the quilt top before I got this far. I measured the quilt top and it is only 27" X 27"! I don't feel this is big enough for the baby. What I need to know is has anyone started the quilting process and then added borders around the edges? The batting and backing are large enough that I can add another 2 1/2" border around all 4 sides without a problem. My second question is do I add another white border or do I add a border of the backing fabric? If I add another border of white, do I add another flange made out of the backing fabric? I am planning on using the same backing fabric for the binding too. HELP!!!

LivelyLady 11-08-2011 08:13 PM

If the backing and batting is large enough, I'd do the borders QAYG.

Tartan 11-08-2011 08:59 PM

It looks like the last border is white so I would add a coloured border. Do you have anymore of the bright pink? A border of that would be nice unless it will clash with the binding you have chosen. I would add the border now even though you have started to quilt it....unless it is mounted on a longarm machine. In that case I would add the border after the quilting is finished QAYG style. Very preety!

SandScraps 11-08-2011 09:29 PM

A coloured border would work well. Lovely backing!

janedee 11-08-2011 09:34 PM

I have had to do this once in the past and it worked fine I added an extra border before quilting - just be careful you don't catch the wadding - managed that as well!!!!!!

Jim 11-08-2011 09:35 PM

I've never done it but I'd try it...shouldn't be that hard to sew borders on the way it looks...looks very nice

Connie M. 11-08-2011 09:43 PM

I'd say sure go for another border, since you have enough batting & backing. I agree Quilt as yiu go would be the easiest. If you have more pink or even pull another color from one of the blocks. Sounds very do-able. Good luck and be sure to post pictures when youre done

RST 11-08-2011 09:59 PM

I love that fabric line -- such nice colors.

A couple of ideas. You could go with it as-is and make it as a wallhanging -- just add a sleeve. It's a lovely colorful addition for any nursery. Lots of new moms get a ton of blankets and quilts--more than they can use since they're not really recommended for use in a crib.

If you really want to add a border, can you use the remaining charms? You should have at least 15 more. You could buy a second charm pack, slice them and make a piano key border, which I think would be more pleasing overall than either the pink or white repeated.

RST

trif 11-08-2011 10:31 PM

I would simply at a border of color, either the pink or even a green would look nice. Good job on the quilt so far.

QuiltnNan 11-09-2011 04:55 AM

the quilt is bright and cheerful. i agree with the others that a colored border would be best.