Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   In need of advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-t94680.html)

denise d 01-28-2011 10:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I am working on my first quilt... it is a baby quilt, but the dimensions are large.

Anyway, I finally got my stencils in the mail, but I am at a loss for the way to quilt it.

I purchased a dragon fly and a butterfly, intending on using both, but I am wondering if it will be to busy, or too symmetrical or what ever.

Any advice you have will be great.

Guess I should mention... the dragon fly stencil is 4.5 inches and the butterfly stencil is a side view and 6 inches

Thanks again!

colors up close... pink, green, yellow and purple backing with dragonfly
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116335[/ATTACH]

sorry the orientation is off... whole quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]116336[/ATTACH]

isnthatodd 01-28-2011 10:51 AM

I used the yellow with 24 other fabrics in quilts for my granddaughters! I love it.

If the stencils fit in the solid areas, go for it. Then maybe outline the print.

cjomomma 01-28-2011 10:53 AM

I think it will be fine! Sure is perty.

Raggiemom 01-28-2011 10:53 AM

I've never used stensils before so I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help. I think I would use one or the other of them personally though. I pretty much only stitch in the ditch at this point! It's a very pretty quilt though.

bjnicholson 01-28-2011 10:54 AM

I can't adivise you on your quilting, but I want to say I love your colors! I have the corresponding fabrics to your purple. I have pink (butterflies), teal (dragonflies) and yellow (forget what critter's on it!)

Whatever you do, it will be beautiful, I'm sure. Lucky baby!

denise d 01-28-2011 10:55 AM

Thanks everyone! I guess I will keep you posted.... LOL :D

denise d 01-28-2011 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok... I have another question.... If I quilt using the stencils in the squares, should I still tie the quilt or do additional to keep it together

I was guessing a picture would help.

Anyway the dragon fly is a 4.5 inch stencil.... so I have a lot of space around the square. I just don't want to go through all of this work, wash the quilt and have it fall apart. :shock:

square with dragonfly..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]117978[/ATTACH]

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-28-2011 11:30 AM

You batting should say on it how far about the quilting should be. I tend to be a less is more kind of person when it comes to quilting, but I think it would have to have more than just the dragon flies.

quiltsRfun 01-28-2011 11:32 AM

You could tie it or stitch in the ditch.

luvspaper 01-28-2011 11:49 AM

Love the stencil! What you might consider is free motion a curved/looped line behind and around the stencilled part (as if to show prior motion)..... Not too close together, but close enough to give the stability of the block that you are looking for.

I love your backing choice! And the quilt itself is adorable!