Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need advice on vintage quilt.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-vintage-quilt-t275152.html)

hooked_on_quilts 01-29-2016 10:01 AM

Need advice on vintage quilt....

My mother cut out an entire bow tie quilt, and gave me the box with all the pieces to make for my oldest son. By the time she gave it to me, he was in a queen size bed, and the quilt was supposed to be twin. So I put off working on it. Now I'm being blessed with two grand babies this year. One boy and one girl. So I've decided to make moms quilt into baby quilts. I will get 3 baby quilts out of what she gave me. I have one problem, though. She had white backing fabric in the box for the original quilt, and neither of the girls, nor I like the idea of a white backing. I would love to keep them in the era, and find fabric for the backing and the binding that are similar. I need suggestions, since these will be keepsakes for the babies. Do any of you have resources for vintage fabrics, 60's-80's. I would love to finish them with the appropriate fabric. Thanks in advance for any recommendations. :o

tropit 01-29-2016 10:22 AM

I love vintage quilts to and am always trying to reproduce quilts from the 1920s era. Try going on to Ebay and look up Effie's. she has tons of old fabrics. I don't know if she will have any really, large pieces, but it wouldn't hurt to send her a message and tell her what you are looking for. I've bought a lot of fabrics from her over the years and she is always very honest and reasonable with her prices.

Also, if you are looking for 60-80s prints then try the more contemporary/modern quilting stores. They have a lot of those mid-century modern prints, because they're so "in" right now. Honey Be Good and Cloud Nine come to mind. They both have websites.

Good luck!
~ Cindy

mrs. fitz 01-29-2016 12:14 PM

No Suggestions, but oh my it's depressing to hear "vintage" and "60s-80s" in the same sentence!!!!!!!

feline fanatic 01-29-2016 12:25 PM

If you don't want white backing, why not dye the backing fabric or tea dye it?

ManiacQuilter2 01-29-2016 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz (Post 7449971)
No Suggestions, but oh my it's depressing to hear "vintage" and "60s-80s" in the same sentence!!!!!!!

I totally AGREE!!!

dunster 01-29-2016 01:53 PM

So true, so very true.

cashs_mom 01-29-2016 02:57 PM

LOL, I agree! If 60s - 80's is vintage, I'm an antique!

Macybaby 01-29-2016 03:45 PM

I think if you look around you'll find something suitable. I got 300 yards of fabric from my Sis that she bought in the 70's, and it's pretty much very small floral patterns. I've been told that is getting popular again.

It is funny though, because I also got some UFO quilts from my Mom that she was working on during that time frame, and they also came with white backing. I know my mom used white or muslin for the quilts she made. I don't think she ever considered using a print. Don't know if that was common, or just my Mom.

hooked_on_quilts 01-29-2016 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by tropit (Post 7449860)
I love vintage quilts to and am always trying to reproduce quilts from the 1920s era. Try going on to Ebay and look up Effie's. she has tons of old fabrics. I don't know if she will have any really, large pieces, but it wouldn't hurt to send her a message and tell her what you are looking for. I've bought a lot of fabrics from her over the years and she is always very honest and reasonable with her prices.

Also, if you are looking for 60-80s prints then try the more contemporary/modern quilting stores. They have a lot of those mid-century modern prints, because they're so "in" right now. Honey Be Good and Cloud Nine come to mind. They both have websites.

Good luck!
~ Cindy

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I will look up Effies and will also look at the quilt shop. I do appreciate having the names of lines, because I'm pretty new to the quilting world and so that does help a lot!

hooked_on_quilts 01-29-2016 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7449992)
I totally AGREE!!!

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7450072)
So true, so very true.

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 7450132)
LOL, I agree! If 60s - 80's is vintage, I'm an antique!

Sorry ladies. I was born in the 60's, so I guess I'm vintage too. :p ;)