Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need advice on what to put in middle of rag quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-what-put-middle-rag-quilt-t307210.html)

Jordan 10-01-2019 08:03 AM

Need advice on what to put in middle of rag quilt

I am starting to make a rag quilt out of old denim jeans and I am questioning myself of what to put in the middle. I have flannel along with the denim jeans but not sure what to use in middle. I had planned on using squares of W&N but someone told me that is too heavy. Then a friend showed me her rag quilt that she didn't put anything in the middle and said it has no warmth at all. Now I am confused?!!
Also-what size would be good to cut the jean squares? I have read that I need to take a 1/2" seam allowance and I have cut some denim already at 6 1/2" squares-is that too small?
I am looking forward to any suggestions and advice from anyone that has mastered a nice rag quilt

Terry in the ADK 10-01-2019 12:05 PM

Denim is heavy. I usually just make rag quilts out of flannels and warm and natural in between. You could also use another piece of flannel . My first thought was to use nothing but I have never tried it.

bj 10-01-2019 01:10 PM

I prob’ly wouldn’t use anything but a layer of flannel and a layer of denim. Be sure you prewash the flannel cause it shrinks. And do an X on the blocks to stabilize your fabrics. Good luck. I love rag quilts, but I’ve not done one with denim before. I’ve seen one and really liked it. She didn’t put a middle layer, and the quilt felt plenty heavy enough.

suern3 10-01-2019 01:28 PM

I would use a middle layer of flannel rather than batting. You wouldn't have to worry about it bunching up. It seems like it would make a cozier quilt with the flannel middle layer and won't add a lot of weight. When making rag quilts, I sew an x through the blocks to help stabilized them. You can choose whatever size blocks that work for your fabric or design. Keep in mind that you will be cutting around each block, so it seems the smaller the block, the more the cutting.

Cheshirepat 10-01-2019 01:48 PM

Hey, you're up "North" so, yes you could probably use another layer of flannel in the middle! How much denim have you pre-cut? Maybe you can use the smaller pieces on a different project, or a matching pillow cover? I'd really recommend getting the spring-assisted scissors (for example the fiskars: https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Softo.../dp/B00083QPVW) it is a LOT of effort cutting up denim to fray the edges!

fifiquilts 10-02-2019 02:39 AM

I have made 2 of these quilts. I did not use any batting. I used flannel and denim, sewed a X thru it and then sewed the 6 1/2 inch squares together with a 1/2 inch seam allowance. These are my camp quilts. They are lap size and plenty warm.

malemp 10-02-2019 03:10 AM

I have made a rag quilt out of demin and used only flannel on back. Did not put anything in the middle. Also sewed a X in center of each block. I made this for my husband several years ago. It is a heavy quilt but warm and cozy on the flannel side.

PiedPiper 10-02-2019 06:04 AM

I'd also use a middle layer of flannel. I've made a few rag quilts with three layers of flannel, and they are plenty warm. As others have said, sew an X through the squares to keep them together. Quick and easy! :)

bungalow59 10-02-2019 06:11 AM

I used a flannel layer for my ‘in between’ layer... the quilt is very heavy. If I were to make another rag quilt, I would leave the inner layer out altogether. Good luck with your project.

Jordan 10-02-2019 06:59 AM

Thank you all for your advice. I think I have decided to use a layer of flannel in the middle. It seems less heavy and will be easier to handle. I greatly appreciate your suggestions. Friend coming over today to cut up denim jeans and will try and coax her into using flannel also.