Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need advise on my next machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advise-my-next-machine-t217254.html)

jenniekay 03-24-2013 05:47 PM

Need advise on my next machine

Hi everyone! I'm new to the board, but not to sewing/quilting....I have been quilting for 5 years now.

I am getting ready to buy a new machine, because my basic Singer is not up to the task or FMQ.....I have three machines I am looking at, any advise if you have one of these would be excellent.

Bernina 350: I used to have a Bernina, so I know them and I know they are excellent machines. My main concern would be the size of this one for quilting in general

Janome 6300P: I have read excellent things about the Janome machines, never tried one

Juki TL2010: was recommended to me today, seems like it'a an excellent quilting only machine....I know nothing about these.

There are dealers within driving distance for all these machine, the Janome and Juki dealers about about 30 minutes away and an hour away, so trying to figure out if I need to take a few days and drive around to test them or if I can make a decision reading reviews and advise :-)

nvb50 03-24-2013 05:50 PM

I prefer the Husqvarna Viking Ruby. It is absolutely perfect for FMQ.

Prism99 03-24-2013 06:27 PM

You really should drive around and test them. For quilting, my choice would probably be the Juki (even though I've never test driven any of these machines!) based on the reviews and user comments I've seen. The Juki can be used for piecing as well as quilting. In the Sharon Schamber videos I have seen, where she's sewing something together, it's a Juki that she is using.

Jingle 03-24-2013 06:29 PM

I have had two Juki TL 98QE, they are very tough and all metal parts. Perfect for piecing and FMQ.

Shelbie 03-24-2013 07:20 PM

I love my Juki and had a really hard time with my Janome 6500. The Juki is powerful, solid and fast. The tension is great and it will piece, FM or straight stitch with a walking foot. You should also be able to buy it for less than $1200 which is a lot less than any Bernina.

AliKat 03-25-2013 07:59 AM

I have Pffaff's;a friend has Bernina; another has Viking; another only used her old FW ... and it goes on.

Again, this is when you check your budget, list your wants vs your needs - remembering the size of the harp space [the space tween the needle and the machine, and your ability to transport the machine to classes, etc. Try them all out. You may well find you bond more with one than the other and that might be the deciding factor. Or you may find the dealer support to be a major factor.

grammy Dwynn 03-25-2013 08:41 AM

I have a Janome 6500 and love it. Great on piecing and FMQ. BUT do not like the weight when I want to take to classes. When I purchased it it came with many extra feet, walking foot and a acrylic table.

Getting extra feet for some machines can really set a person back $$, something to take into consideration. Plus getting to know the dealers is (IMHO) important. Some you will feel comfortable and 'at home' while others could make you feel like you do not belong.

Test drive the machines at the shops, see what all is included in the purchase. Do the shops offer any 'extras', if you shop with them - classes for learning the machines or other services.

Good luck on your search

Holice 03-25-2013 08:49 AM

If you are going to do machine quilting then get the one with the most throat space in your price range. They all are about the same some withg a fewer bells on them but most of the newer have the same additions.
Ignore such things initially like thread cutting -. and decorative sitching.....go for the space. You will be glad you did. To me the 6-7 or 8" throat space is useless for serious machine quilting - go for thge 10-11" you will be glad you did. You can always raise the foot with your hand and don't need to button to punch. You can always control the motor with your foot and don't need the start and stop button. space space space.

quiltstringz 03-25-2013 10:12 AM

I definitely think that you should take the time to drive to each of the dealers and try them out. Take some quilt sandwiches with you or better yet get a charity top layered and ready for quilting and take that with you. I would also bring my own thread (the kind you like to use) and then sit there and quilt for 20 minutes or so. Really give it a true work out to see what you like and what you don't, then go on to the next place.

nativetexan 03-25-2013 10:31 AM

the only advice I can give is to find a large throat space. I have only six inches and would love it to be eleven!!!