Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need advise please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advise-please-t18254.html)

sewnsewer2 03-28-2009 07:46 PM

I have to make a pillow from a T shirt. What kind of iron on stabilizer should I use? What do you recommend and can you offer any other advise?

The pillow will be a ring pillow for a wedding and the T has the name of the grooms college on it.

Thanks!

Janstar 03-28-2009 08:40 PM

Not to sure about that but your idea is great. Have'nt worked with any T-shirts.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 03-28-2009 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
I have to make a pillow from a T shirt. What kind of iron on stabilizer should I use? What do you recommend and can you offer any other advise?

The pillow will be a ring pillow for a wedding and the T has the name of the grooms college on it.

Thanks!

Pretty much any of the iron on stabilizers that your local store sells should work. Just be sure to get something that you can sew through...not too much sticky or too thick. I've never really worked much with T-shirt material, but I use stablilizer for machine embroidery. I generally use the tear away, not iron on, but I have used it. I think I would go with something with a good thickness to it because T-shirt fab can be hard to work with. That's just my opionion. GOod luck!

Mousie 03-29-2009 04:55 AM

I'd really be interested to hear more feedback about this too. I bought some inexpensive t-shirts one time, I should say, cheap, was being nice. They started coming apart at the seams, anyway, the design on them is so cute, would make great pillows for grands to use when here, for moving watching etc.

tlrnhi 03-29-2009 05:18 AM

What if you used Lite Heat N Bond and put a backing onto the shirt (tshirt-heatnbond-fabric). Then it would make it a bit more stable to sew. Maybe??
You could try it out on an old tshirt to see if it works.

sewnsewer2 03-29-2009 06:29 AM

Thanks everyone.

Do you think fusible fleece will work? I'm going to play with an old T and see if it works.

I've never done this before and I know T's are a bear to sew because of the stretch.

littlehud 03-29-2009 07:55 AM

I had to fuse mine to fabric so it was more stable. It was my second quilt and I used too heavy of heat and bond and it was soooo hard to quilt. Learned to use light stuff.

MadQuilter 03-29-2009 01:01 PM

A gal at work just finished a t-shirt quilt. 'll ask her. She has used steam-a-seam before. I think a lot depends on how stiff (or not) you want the feel. Good idea to test on a sample piece.

sew4fun 03-29-2009 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2

Thanks!

There is a woven fusible interfacing that you can buy at Joanns. That is what I use for t-shirt quilts. Not sure about the fusible fleece but testing it on another shirt is a good idea.

sewnsewer2 03-29-2009 08:23 PM

I tried the fleece, too stiff, so I tried some french fuse I got from Hancock awhile back and that was much better.

I haven't made it yet, still testing, but I'll post it when done.