Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need advise (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advise-t228872.html)

dee1245 08-27-2013 09:30 AM

need advise

This is a quilt I am ready to quilt. I an not done pinning yet. I would like some advise on whether I should quilt through each block or will stitch in the ditch on the sashing suffice?

dee1245 08-27-2013 09:31 AM

ok, don't know where the photo went. Can someone help please?

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 08-27-2013 09:50 AM

Clicking preview seems to make pictures vanish. Try again without that step.

paulswalia 08-27-2013 09:58 AM

without a photo - this is the only advice I can give. Check your batting package. it will tell you how far apart your quilting can be for the batting to hold up over the years through washing, use, etc. For instance, Warm and Natural says quilting should be every 10 inches. Quilter's Dream says every 8 inches. So depending on the size of your block, you will know how far apart your quilting stitches can be. As for photos, two important notes, do NOT preview your post as said above and resize them - I use Windows picture manager and resize my photos to no larger than their predetermined size for "web-large". Give that a try!

dee1245 08-27-2013 11:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I am going to try to post a photo. Thanks for all your help...[ATTACH=CONFIG]432563[/ATTACH]

MadQuilter 08-27-2013 11:34 AM

I generally use W&N batting but I always quilt closer than the recommended maximum distance. Your blocks look to be about 12" which is too wide to leave unquilted. Even at 10" I wouldn't like the center piece to "flop" around. Since your blocks have pictures, you could quilt each block to capture the picture outline of the T-shirt message.

Jingle 08-27-2013 02:08 PM

I quilt no more than 3-4". I usually do FMQ or large meander. I haven't made a t-shirt quilt, so I don't know about them.

cindi 08-27-2013 02:51 PM

Beautiful quilt! If you're not adept at FMQ, I'd suggest capturing the logos or words in a "box" - i.e. draw a square box around the Eastern Illinois, or a rectangular box around the three triangles in the black square. That would at least hold the batting down. You could try quilting an "X" through the center of each block, but I'm always hesitant about quilting through any vinyl-type logos. I've done many t-shirt quilts and vinyl logos never sew well (although there will be others who say they don't have a problem with it). But if your quilt has no vinyl logos, doing an X through each block would be sufficient. Good luck!

pdcakm 08-27-2013 03:07 PM

nice quilt.

i am currently having the same quandry. i have started with some stitching around the blocks but feel it needs more on the large ones. in my case the pieces are several different sizes and i have added pieced blocks and photos to fill in between. so many different "things" to deal with. what seemed like a good idea when started has turned into a head scratcher.

good luck. i will follow along here to see what other pearls of wisdom come along.

pat

toverly 08-27-2013 03:25 PM

Would "echo quilting" work around the greek letters and logos? I haven't donea t shirt quilt but I have echo quilted around animals and flowers. That way you wouldn't be quilting over the images, just around them. I would do just in the boxes and do the sashing in linear quilting.