Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need batting help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-batting-help-t94343.html)

May in Jersey 01-27-2011 06:53 AM

My DIL asked me to make her a queen size bed quilt, she's paying for the fabrics, etc. She'd like it to be heavier than the kids quilts I've made for her DD's, my DGD's. For baby and kids quilts I usually use Mountain Mist poly as is very lightweight and I don't think babies and kids need heavy quilts. DIL intends to use the quilt as a bed covering and for warmth. Most times I use Hobbs 80/20, prewashing it first. I was thinking I'd use Quilters Dream Poly as it low loft but a heavier weight poly. There is also Quilter's Dream Deluxe but from the description I think it's more for tying than quilting. Or:
Should I skip the poly and use Warm and Natural, prewashing it against too much shrinkage when the quilt is washed?

May in Jersey

lisalovesquilting 01-27-2011 06:55 AM

I almost always use warm and natural.

sidmona 01-27-2011 07:06 AM

I use the quilters dream blend (70/30) and it seems to keep my family warm.

sahm4605 01-27-2011 07:08 AM

I would go with warm and nat too. I use that as well as bamboo (for the anti-yucky germs quality). the warm and nat is a heavier batting. well at least to me. and I don't pre-wash. I like the wrinkled look of quilts after washing them. they also don't shrink that much either. so it is a win win all around.

feline fanatic 01-27-2011 07:08 AM

W&N definitely makes a quilt feel heavier then poly but actually poly is warmer because it doesn't breath like cotton so will trap body heat better. I like the drape of W&N. One thing to consider, though, are you handquilting or machine? I find W&N difficult to needle when handquilting. It is a dream to machine quilt. Poly is much easier to needle for HQ, next would be the 80/20 blend. 80/20 may be the best of both worlds for her because it will have the weight of cotton and the insulating powers of poly. So I would go with the 80/20.
I do not prewash batting because I like the crinkled wrinkled look it gives after washing. Prewashing may also affect how it hand quilts. It is a nonissue for machine quilting IMHO.

thequiltmama 01-27-2011 07:21 AM

I use warm and natural for warmer quilts. :-)

Annaquilts 01-27-2011 07:23 AM

From what you are describing I think Warm and Natural would fit best. I am actually bought some other batting 80/20 to get away from the heavy feel with some quilts.

Jan in VA 01-27-2011 07:55 AM

I have two quilts on my bed.
One is hand quilted with Hobbs wool batting; one is machine quilted with WN. The wool is warmer, but the WN is heavier. I adore them both.

Jan in VA

littlehud 01-27-2011 08:35 AM

I love the warm and natural batting. Great stuff and I don't wash because I like the crinkled effect.

sewwhat85 01-27-2011 08:46 AM

i use w&n