Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need border help, opinions please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-border-help-opinions-please-t263234.html)

wildyard 03-27-2015 04:22 PM

need border help, opinions please

2 Attachment(s)
I am sewing together this controlled scrappy quilt for my niece. I need a border to finish it off, and was planning one of these two stripe/plaid fabrics.
Now I am concerned they are too busy and wondering if I should just go for a tone on tone red as the border and binding; or the red border and stripe binding?
Thoughts about this? Thanks in advance!!

katier825 03-27-2015 04:27 PM

I would audition some solids/tonals as an inner border along with the plaid or stripe to get an idea of how you'd like it. Maybe even a white or other light color. The stripe/plaid are very bold and might take away from the piecing if they are right up against it. Another thought, a couple of solid/tonal borders and the stripe/plaid for back/binding. JMHO. :)

Jeanne S 03-27-2015 04:33 PM

Cute quilt! I like either of the two border fabrics but I think you need a solid inner red border to separate them.

TexasSunshine 03-27-2015 04:54 PM

I think I would do a red or green border in a tonal or solid since your quilt is so busy. I like the design.

wesing 03-27-2015 05:50 PM

I agree with Jeanne and TexasSunshine. A stop border of red or green in solid or near solid, then a wider border using the plaid. Lay your quilt out on something and audition your ideas and you'll figure it out, or you can post your pics and we will vote! Let us see the finished pictures too.

PenniF 03-27-2015 05:53 PM

I have that plaid fabric, and really like it. I will "ditto" the other ladies and say a narrow red 'stop' border, then the plaid. It's a great scrappy and i'll look forward to seeing the picture when you finish it.

MadQuilter 03-27-2015 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by TexasSunshine (Post 7143674)
I think I would do a red or green border in a tonal or solid since your quilt is so busy. I like the design.

Ditto. The stripes work but are too busy without a separation. imo

soniboo 03-27-2015 09:45 PM

Definitely your tone on tone red for a border & binding because with all the colors in your quilt you really don't need another color design unless you just want to. My two cents worth & cute bulldog; she'll love her new quilt:)

sewmom 03-28-2015 06:09 AM

Since your quilt is busy, I would use something to rest your eye. The stripe or plaid would be great for the binding.

joe'smom 03-28-2015 08:47 AM

I think a yellow or green inner border might be nice. I think the green in the stripe fabric isn't quite right for the greens in the quilt. I'm not sure about using that plaid as an outer border, even though the colors are perfect. I think I would try something quieter as an outer border, probably mostly in green. I think the red stands out nicely in the quilt interior and needn't be accentuated by a red border. But definitely take some pictures with all the possibilities! Pictures help me so much in making design decisions!