Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need border help... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-border-help-t235065.html)

TerryQuilter 11-19-2013 07:21 AM

Need border help...

I am going to put a piano key border on my newest quilt and was wondering if I should press all the seams open to cut down on the bulk in the border. You ladies are so knowledgeable and I know you can help me. TIA *Ü*

grannie cheechee 11-19-2013 07:25 AM

I find that sometimes it easier to iron the seams open when doing borders. Just my opinion. LOL

soccertxi 11-19-2013 07:29 AM

Terry, How do you plan to quilt it? If you are going to SID, I would not press them open. I would be hesitant to stitch right down the seam line with the seams open. (HowEVER, this is YOUR quilt, you can do what you want!)

dunster 11-19-2013 07:30 AM

I have made several piano key borders. I press the seams to one side, and then when I attach the border to the quilt I press away from the piano keys so all their seams are not bent.

Tartan 11-19-2013 07:30 AM

I ironed some seams open on my Spiderweb quilt. When I quilted the quilt, the thread showed. I hated the look and ended up sharpieing all the seam lines. I won't iron open again but it would be okay if the thread matches the piano keys.

Annaquilts 11-19-2013 07:44 AM

Yes this is what I do. I do not like pressing them open unless I really have too because I do not like it when my needle hits the pressed open seam when quilting.

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6413308)
I have made several piano key borders. I press the seams to one side, and then when I attach the border to the quilt I press away from the piano keys so all their seams are not bent.

Jan in VA 11-19-2013 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6413308)

I agree with Dunster.

I've done so many piano-key borders, too, but I usually make them by sewing longer strips together then cross cutting them to the width needed for the border.
So, naturally I press all the seams in one direction, all the same. That also makes it easier to apply to the body of the quilt as I can place it so all the seams are going in the downward direction.

Jan in VA

ManiacQuilter2 11-19-2013 10:10 AM

I try not to press open seams unless it is absolutely necessary. Bearding can occur which is when the batting is able to migrate out onto the quilt thru the pressed open seams. YUCK !!!

Jingle 11-19-2013 03:02 PM

I have made some piano key borders and press to one side. How I do most of my seams, except triangles. It gets tedious for me to press lots of seams open.

TerryQuilter 11-19-2013 03:40 PM

Thanks ladies for all your help. I think I will go for it and press my seams to one side!