Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need a business name (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-business-name-t223848.html)

catmcclure 06-18-2013 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by paulswalia (Post 6126001)
I'm going to do some occasional commission work for an interior designer and while she is willing to put me in her books under my actual name I thought it would be fun to have a business name. So far my husband and I have come up with: A Quilted Home..........East Hill Quilting (we live on east hill)......Quality Quilting (also known as Q Squared) ........but we seem to have run out of creativity. Now you folks, on the other hand.........help me out!

I'd suggest you file a DBA with your county and get a sales tax number. That number gets you wholesale pricing from the fabric warehouses and even regular quilt shops.

Gita 06-18-2013 04:16 AM

[QUOTE=JanTx;6127061]If your main business is quilting I'd leave that in the name. When we travel we put "quilt" in our GPS and see where it takes us. The shops that don't have that word in the name get left out. That is - if you will have a physical location. If not then "Creation" does cover all.

"East Hill Quilting & More" would be another idea to consider.

Latrinka 06-18-2013 04:16 AM

I agree with citruscountyquilter, good luck with your new business!

paulswalia 06-18-2013 04:23 AM

Thanks everyone - looks like it's going to be East Hill Quilts with a logo of a hillside draped in a quilt with a sunrise over it. Now off to make 20 inch square samples of quilts I'm willing to make so she can travel with them when visiting clients. Ah, retirement............

anjum 06-18-2013 04:29 AM

Hi,I know you have already selected a name, but I want to suggest you a name that suddenly struck me,is "ENTICE QUILTING",to attract quilter towards your quilting.Please check before registering , if the name is already taken or not.

sulyle 06-18-2013 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 6126333)
When considering names, think of the long term effects of a name.
(It's kind of like auditioning fabric for quilting!)

Eg. #3 ... inclusion of geographic meanings are nice, but what happens if you move? I know several businesses that took the street name for their business and now are no where near that location. Another is called "The Spa in xxxxxx" .... and has moved from xxxxxx village to a different town about 10 miles away. Yes, confusing. Just

How exciting for you to have the new opportunity.
Good Luck!

I think this a bigger problem if you have a physical store that people will be looking for, like a restaurant. Katie Lane Quilts was named after a location and the seller has moved to another state but it hasn't caused any problems since she's selling online. I'm sure if anyone needs to contact you, they'll either be given your address or you'll go to them. I like the East Hill Name, whether it's East Hill Quilting or East Hill Designs or East Hill Creations. It sounds sophisticated.

quiltmom04 06-18-2013 05:13 AM

I like East Hill. "A Quilted Home" sounds too " folksy" and unprofessional. "Quality Quilting" sounds like a restaurant that would call itself "Really Good Food" - you'd wonder whether they really had good food. East Hill sounds very classy and professional. And even if you moved, as someone suggested, you could still keep the name because you started the business when you were there.

joivey 06-18-2013 05:44 AM

I have a small machine embroidery business. I name is Jo Ann Ivey, so I named my business Jivey Stitches and on my business card have like a New Orleans style jazz band in black on a white card. You'll think of something unique, I'm sure. Have fun.
Jo Ann

bearisgray 06-18-2013 06:02 AM

East Hill something does sound nice - sort of non-specific as to location

The suggestion to say it out loud several times - and to different people - was an excellent one!

My DH worked for a company called Quickie Transport. Would you want to answer your phone with "Quickie Quilting"

On second thought - if you had super-fast turn around time - it might be a not-so-bad idea! :rolleyes:

Caswews 06-18-2013 07:57 AM

Good luck on whatever name you choose.. mull it around before you definitely choose