Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need to connect with Singer XL5000 user who quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-connect-singer-xl5000-user-who-quilts-t224522.html)

Goodbread 06-25-2013 01:46 PM

Need to connect with Singer XL5000 user who quilts
I have owned my Singer XL5000 for years now, but only used it for a few stitches here and there. It can do so much more than I have used it for. I'd like to try to quilt on it. Do I need to buy a special foot for it or can I use one that came with it? I have all the feet that came with it when it was new.

Thanks in advance!


Tink's Mom 06-25-2013 02:34 PM

I don't remember exactly what was new in the box with this machine, but if all else fails I think that your embroidery foot would work fine for stippling. I don't think you got a 1/4" foot with the machine, but could be wrong...too many years have gone past....BTW...welcome to the board!

Goodbread 06-25-2013 07:16 PM

Hi Susie- Thanks for the welcome. :)

I do have the embroidery foot, but don't know what stippling is. :o
Other feet I have are: zig zag foot, zipper foot, overcast foot, teflon satin foot, clear zipper foot, cording foot and blindstitch presser foot.

Does it sound like any of the feet I have would be good to quilt with? If not, what kind of foot/feet should I buy so that I can begin sewing with this machine?

Thanks all!

Goodbread 06-25-2013 07:44 PM

Should have said: ........ so that I can begin QUILTING with this machine?

Knitette 06-25-2013 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Goodbread (Post 6143995)
Should have said: ........ so that I can begin QUILTING with this machine?

Welcome to the board!

It depends what you mean by 'quilting' :). If you want to quilt in straight(ish) lines or along the seam line ('in the ditch'), then you need a walking foot - check Google and You Tube. This prevents the layers from slipping as the teeth (feed dogs) are under the fabric. The walking foot has 'teeth' on the top for an even feed of the layers.

If you want to stipple or 'meander' by creating wiggly lines, then you'll need an embroidery or darning foot. These have a circle instead of the standard square foot and usually have a spring, so that when it's attached to the machine, it 'hops' up and down, almost floating above the layer.

This is also called FMQ - free motion quilting. Most people 'drop' their feed dogs so the fabric moves more smoothly. If there isn't a switch to drop them, then some people cover them.
Happy quilting.

Goodbread 06-26-2013 06:20 AM

Thank you Knitette!! You have helped me so much! Sounds like I need a walking foot, but now I know what stippling is. I now realize that with my embroidery foot and the quilting stitch on my machine, I can also meander.... when I'm comfortable with the idea. :) Getting excited to finally do some cool things with my machine. lol

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:48 AM.

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.