Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need diy idea for making a folding cutting board to put on bed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-diy-idea-making-folding-cutting-board-put-bed-t231779.html)

cstout 10-05-2013 06:44 AM

Need diy idea for making a folding cutting board to put on bed

Does anyone use their bed for cutting fabric strips with a cutting mat & rotary cutter? I guess I need something heavy enough to keep the mat steady, but easy to fold up & store under the bed.

BellaBoo 10-05-2013 06:53 AM

The bed will be too low to cut. My back would be screaming in no time and I don't have a bad back. The floor would be a better place. I've cut on the floor many times, it's sometimes easier then on a table.

Peckish 10-05-2013 06:57 AM

I agree with Bellaboo - too low, and also too squishy. There was another thread here recently where someone was unhappy with her cutting results and thought it was her rotary cutter, but really the issue was that she was using her ironing board under her cutting mat. You could get a large piece of plywood or something similar to set on the bed, but you will still run into the height issue.

Your kitchen counter is probably your best bet. It's a hard surface and the correct height, you won't have an aching back.

ILoveToQuilt 10-05-2013 07:03 AM

I often cut on the dining room table...on a mat of course!

Anita

mighty 10-05-2013 07:05 AM

For me the bed would be to low and unstable to cut on.

AliKat 10-05-2013 09:55 AM

If in a pinch try your kitchen counter. It may be the right height for you to cut. Worth a try anyway. And, it is a great way to encourage clean up of the counter space.

quiltingcandy 10-05-2013 10:02 AM

I cannot think of anyway you could use a board on your bed unless you can raise it up like a hospital bed. I have a cutting table that is a full length mirror then folds down to the cutting table. If you are interested I can send you photos.

RST 10-05-2013 11:13 AM

I use a hollow core door set on top of a daybed (Hemnes from Ikea) as my cutting table. It's perfect for me, but I'm fairly tall, and many of my friends find it is too high. You could look into getting easily removable table legs (I know Ikea has some at reasonable price, but you could find them in a hardware or home improvement store, or fashion some from pipe flanges and pipe lengths. Then you could create a table that sits above your bed and is stable, but can be removed relatively easily.

barny 10-05-2013 11:18 AM

I made myself a painting table[oil and watercolor] from 2 plastic horses and bought a piece of plywood and just layed across the horses. Bought some fabric backed vinyl and covered it. Perfect. As big or small as you need. I clamped my lights on it and ready to go.

mrsponcho1 10-05-2013 01:14 PM

My bed frame is taller than most and then I have extra thick mattress and box springs so sometimes I use my bed to cut my batting. I am 5' tall so it works well. I put down the folding sew perfect cutting boards that I purchased from Hancocks a long time ago...I think that Walmart sells them also. I use scissors to cut the batting so don't know how stable they would be with a rotary cutter.