Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need fabric opinions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-fabric-opinions-t183784.html)

bcsews 03-23-2012 09:04 AM

Need fabric opinions

2 Attachment(s)
I am taking a Judy Niemeyer class next weekend and I am struggling with my fabric choices. We are making the golden harvest quilt. I am including a picture of my tentative fabric selections and the pattern. This is an expensive endeavor for me and I want to be pleased with the results, although I love batiks so this should be easy. I am not totally in love with my two light fabrics but they were the best I could find.

The fabric on the left will be my outside border, I have decided not to piece it the way they did in the pattern. It will also be in the four corner triangles. I tried putting in an orange to brighten it up but decided that it showed up too much so I went with the purple.
Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Barb

sylviak 03-23-2012 09:38 AM

Where do you envision using the various other colors? Your choices are gorgeous! If you use the purple as the first border after the star and background, I'd use the third from the left as the background for the star (the blue with dots), since it has a touch of the purple in it. I like the white/blue-green print in the middle for the light frame. The light blue-green (third from right) would look good as the outermost saw-toothed frame. That's JMHO, but however you decide, it's going to be a beauty!

jcrow 03-23-2012 10:00 AM

I don't use batiks even though I have some but the fourth one from the left doesn't look like it belongs with the rest (the dots that make shape that is blue). But, like I said, I don't work with them yet. And I always make things that match. So maybe I'm not one to give advice. But all the others really pop!!! That looks like a hard pattern. Good for you!!! Are you taking the class online by any chance???

jcrow 03-23-2012 10:01 AM

After I looked at the main fabric, the fourth from the left does match. I didn't give that one a hard look. I think you did an excellent job picking out those colors. Wish I could do the same. That's why I limit myself to kits!

bcsews 03-23-2012 10:15 AM

I am taking it at a LQS.

Cybrarian 03-23-2012 12:34 PM

I love your choices the acid green will need careful placemat but what "wow" factor!

Bluphrog 03-23-2012 12:48 PM

The white w/blue (next to the purple) seems too light to me, and the blue is almost identical to the light blue on the right side of the purple, If course, it also depends on where it will be used in the quilt. How about a "softer" light green?

Christine George 03-23-2012 05:35 PM

I wasn't sure about the fabrics until I looked at the pattern. The contrasts will be very nice. As long as you keep it symmetrical I think you have a winning combination.

Dolphyngyrl 03-23-2012 08:01 PM

Love your colors

leggz48 03-23-2012 08:20 PM

Great choices and I really like the bright green.....a real eye-catcher. The finished product will be beautiful; please post when finished.