Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help ASP; what kind of frame do i need for hand quilting and what do i need for stitchery??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-asp%3B-what-kind-frame-do-i-need-hand-quilting-what-do-i-need-stitchery-t22977.html)

sunnyhope 07-19-2009 10:59 AM

preferbly i need to buy this at ebay.

for my stitchery i nEed a frame i guess siewise about 6 by 6 but ofcourse if u can get it bigger or smaller in the same thing that would be assome.

Also whats the smallest frame thingy you use when hand quilting?

remember i m living in silly little Norway so i have to consider weight when paying for the shipping and such.

i normally buy at ebay but aslong as its a trusted place i can pay with paypal i m happy :wink:

thanks for helping my ladies

Lacelady 07-19-2009 12:29 PM

Sorry Sunny, I can't really help you, because I don't quilt in a hoop, though I do own one. It's an oval one, 16 inches long, and 1 inch deep. That would be rather large to do embroidery in. Most embroidery hoops are not as deep as quilting hoops. They are usually about 1cm deep. I hope that helps sort out in your mind exactly what you want.

BellaBoo 07-19-2009 12:29 PM

I was told that the size of any hand frame should be the measurement from inside your elbow to the tip of your middle finger. That would be the ideal size for you to handle comfortably. I don't like tiny fames, they don't allow enough room to manipulate the needle. The type of frame is a personal preference but I have the QSnap square hand frame and it's nice an very affordable and lightweight. It comes in various sizes. I bought a frame with a lap stand. It's okay but not great for me.

Scissor Queen 07-19-2009 12:50 PM

My girlfriend quilts without a frame. Just thread baste really, really well and quilt away.

I used the John Flynn frame for hand quilting. It comes with just the end parts and you supply the rails so that might make shipping a whole lot cheaper for you. One advantage to that frame is you don't have to baste your quilt first.

Susan F 07-19-2009 04:39 PM

Are you looking for a floor frame or your lap frame? Some frame are made out of pvc pipe and are very light and can be taken aparts so they are compact or a plastice one is the one I use I like it decause it has a groove in it that hold the fabric tight. They come in deferent sizes.

dznkat 07-24-2009 05:15 AM

I used to embroider and just couldn't handle the hoop so managed without. When I started to quilt I ran into the same problem. For some reason I have to have the whole thing in my grasp, so manipulating all the fabric does sometimes become a problem. I would love to hear more on this subject because I just know there has to be a solution without a bunch of cost. I inherited a huge frame that could take up a room, lots of hoops in various sizes and materials and still just hand quilt without anything in my lap but fabric, needle, thead, scissors and threader.

racnquilter 07-24-2009 07:04 AM

I handquilt and personally really like the PVC type. Light and clamps well. Can be taken apart easily for storage. Also if you get a couple of different sizes then can use 2 poles from each set to make a rectangular shape and not be locked down with just a square size. I like having a rectangular shape when I'm working on the borders, don't have to move the frame as often.

Boston1954 07-24-2009 07:15 AM

I have always used a hoop. I like that it is portable. My sister has a big expensive frame but she does not get to use because of her arthritis.