Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Help with Backing with Rayon=Pros & Cons (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-backing-rayon%3Dpros-cons-t123248.html)

dott443 05-15-2011 10:39 AM

I'm new to quilting, but did at one time sew a lot. I have loads of rayon fabric that would make nice backing or quilting patches, however, don't want to use this if their are big problems ahead. Also I am a hand quilter, would this make quilting harder? Could sure use some experienced help with this. Thanks loads

Candace 05-15-2011 10:44 AM

Rayon is thinner than good quilting cotton and it frays. I would find other uses for it.

dinlauren 05-15-2011 10:47 AM

I don't think rayon would hold up to the use and washing quilts would get. I agree with candace....may find other uses for it or goodwill.

Tartan 05-15-2011 01:07 PM

Rayon tends to be slippery to work with and it frays alot. That said, I have used it for a small quilt back because it was the exact colour I needed. I had to pin it alot, leave extra around the edges for fraying (trimmed before binding)and I machine quilted it. I have also heard that it works well for chenille quilts. Do up some mug rugs with it and see how you like it.

eastermarie 05-15-2011 02:00 PM

Some rayons are dry clean only, some will disintegrate when wet, some really really shrink when wet.

Holice 05-15-2011 02:04 PM

Its a case of having to respect the nature of the fabric when considering its use in "non traditional" ways. Points made above state it very well.

dott443 05-15-2011 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by dott443
I'm new to quilting, but did at one time sew a lot. I have loads of rayon fabric that would make nice backing or quilting patches, however, don't want to use this if their are big problems ahead. Also I am a hand quilter, would this make quilting harder? Could sure use some experienced help with this. Thanks loads

How about poly-cotton or cotton-rayon blend, would that be the same?

RST 05-15-2011 02:44 PM

I've used bamboo fabrics, which are basically like rayon. They do have a very nice drape. The fraying and wrinkling and tendency to shift while stitching would make these less than ideal for quilting, specially if it's a new pursuit for you.

However, if you have the time, and you feel like experimenting, why don't you make up a small project, and see how it works out for you? You may find that you really like it for some applications. Or you may come away convinced of the wisdom of using 100% cotton.

RST

dott443 05-15-2011 02:56 PM

Thnaks so much for all the suggestions. I just hated to throw away yards of material now that it's so high.
Thanks again.

ghostrider 05-15-2011 03:22 PM

Rayon is frequently used in both art quilts and crazy quilts since they get much gentler use than utiltity quilts. Those types might be something you'd want to look into.