Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help with border selection (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-border-selection-t226678.html)

Misty's Mom 07-27-2013 04:56 PM

Need help with border selection

2 Attachment(s)
My SIL sent me this quilt ti bind for her. She and my brother found it in the attic of the house she lived in for more years than I can imagine. Anyway, I laid it out on our queen size bed and discovered how big it is. I called her and asked if she would like wide borders on it so that she could use on her bed. She said yes. It is machine pieced and hand quilted by my mother. What would you suggest for borders, how wide and possibly more than one border? Then I can bind as originally planned.

Misty's Mom 07-27-2013 04:58 PM

I forgot to add the borders need to be at least 6" wide on the sides. Also I have no idea what the pattern is. Thanks in advance for your help :)

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 07-27-2013 05:15 PM

If it were mine, I would use reproduction prints and keep the border scrappy. You could do a narrow inner border of a solid or nearly solid in whatever color you like best in the quilt and finish it off with a wider scrappy border.

Tartan 07-27-2013 05:55 PM

What a fun quilt! It looks like she used up her orphan blocks and scraps. There is quite a bit of pink in the quilt and maybe a pink/rose border would work. Blue would look good also.

0tis 07-27-2013 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter (Post 6199741)
If it were mine, I would use reproduction prints and keep the border scrappy. You could do a narrow inner border of a solid or nearly solid in whatever color you like best in the quilt and finish it off with a wider scrappy border.

Ditto! I think any of the reproduction prints would work - looks like a very nice quilt.

tessagin 07-27-2013 06:03 PM

Looks similar to my sister's SO's mother's quilts. But her's were no specific order. No real pattern and he said they were at least 50 years old. he has a couple displayed on the back of his sofas but has the other 5 in white garbage bags. I told him to at least put them in KIng size pillow cases so they could get some air. I would border this with a red or a green. Something darker to make the quit pop.

QuiltnNan 07-28-2013 04:31 AM

i would do a solid border with a simple curved vine/flowers

nanna-up-north 07-28-2013 04:56 AM

My suggestion would be to use reproduction fabrics and make a piano key border. You can make the strips any length you want and 6" sounds like it would be a nice compliment to what is already there. Please post a picture of what you decide.... you know we like to look!!

mighty 07-28-2013 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 6200273)
i would do a solid border with a simple curved vine/flowers

I love this idea!!!

dcamarote 07-28-2013 08:00 AM

I don't have any suggestions just wanted to say that this is truly a treasure and I hope she has it for many more years.