Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need help on borders for n/h quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-borders-n-h-quilt-t280269.html)

pandamommy 07-09-2016 09:29 PM

I love the lavender without the piano keys. No matter what I love the quilt. It is your quilt when you get the right combination you will feel it.

duckydo 07-10-2016 04:38 AM

The quilt is very cute. IMO, I would put a small dark border around the whole quilt (2")in any of the dark colors that are in the quilt, I would make it a solid or a color that reads solid. It will frame the quilt, then proceed with the larger outer border. I would go with the green, Or maybe find a blue like in the sky color. Just a thought. I think the polka dots are too busy

Pinkquilter59 07-10-2016 06:39 AM

Even though I love the piano key border, I think the quilt looks best without it so all the attention goes to the quilt, and not the border. I thought I liked the polka dot border, until I saw the lavender. I really like the lavender border best!!!

I really enjoy doing embroider appliqué and have made some baby quilts using that method. What pattern is this, and where did you find it? I noticed someone else is also making a quilt like this. I would LOVE to make one too.

No matter which border you choose, your quilt is beautiful.

Pinkquilter59 07-10-2016 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Crqltr (Post 7597265)
I like the purple...glad you are asking these questions. I am in the process of making the same quilt and wasn't sure how I would finish it.

What pattern is this? Where did you get the designs? I absolutely love it. No two would look the same.

pal 07-10-2016 08:43 AM

I would put the house rows on a dark solid background. Then 2" of polka dot border, 2" of dark solid, then the piano keys and the thin dark binding. I think using the dark background will make the houses and the piano keys pop and stand out.

dms 07-10-2016 12:40 PM

Neither one in my opinion. I would go with a blue or a another strong enough color to frame your delightful quilt. It makes me happy to look at it.

caspharm 07-10-2016 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by LeslieSusan (Post 7597107)
You have so much going on in this lovely project of yours that I think a solid border would be the best. Love the polka dot sashing, but for a border it is a little busy. Solid would frame it and tie all the elements together. I am in agreement with QM. Plus I read something years ago that the best quilts have areas that give your eyes a rest, yet tie everything together.

I agree about a solid border, but do you really need an outer border? It looks good as is.

ube quilting 07-10-2016 02:14 PM

Happy polka dots. They really pull the whole quilt together. The green, not so much.
This is a wonderful happy quilt.
peace

maviskw 07-10-2016 04:24 PM

I love those dots where they are. They bring out the dots in the quilt sashing. And I love piano keys. They way you have it, it may be "low volume", but is very peaceful, soothing and inviting. I wouldn't change anything.

carolynjo 07-10-2016 05:57 PM

What a lovely quilt! IMHO, a solid blue, medium to dark would frame the quilt, corral all the lovely colors, and calm the many lovely colors down.