Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Help with Carpenters star (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-carpenters-star-t102411.html)

quiltlady1941 02-23-2011 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made this from looking at a picture of a carpenters star once around again.
I now have it laying on the top of my king size bed, I don't know what to do to make it fit my king size bed.
The star is 65" sq, the top of a king size bed is 78x80,

This is what I thought to do, add a 6" border of the green fabric to frame the star, this would make the top about 77 0r 78 sq. & it would be wide enough to fill the top of the bed and to the foot. I have to position the star so that it is not under the pillows, so it is down by the foot of the bed more then at the top.
Now I have about 10" at the top of the bed,[ over the pillows & to tuck under pillows] left to fill in with something. need help on what to put there.

After I get the top to fit I can add more borders or something for the drop of the quilt.
I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say & ask for help on.

Another thing would a 6" border for the framing of the star be to big, I usually make the 1st border 3" to 4" to frame, would it look better to use the light fabric for a 3" frame and then the green fabric??

Sorry this is so long but I really need some help on this. I just keep looking at it and wondering what to do...
Thanks Carol

Murphy 02-23-2011 01:08 PM

I would make a thin border of one of the colors in the flower pattern first to make the carpenter star pop and then add floral to the outside.

On the top I would make two smaller carpenters star that would land right on the pillows.

mytwopals 02-23-2011 01:14 PM

I might use the white, wide enough to completely cover the bed top, then use additional borders of the green and flowered fabrics to complete the sides. This way you can make the "top border" wide enough to account for the pillows.

quiltlady1941 02-23-2011 01:16 PM

How would it look using the dark flowered fabric for the 1st thin border ,

wouldn't it look funny if I used one of the colors in the dark flowered fabric, if that was the only place I would use that fabric in the quilt?

Thanks

PWinston 02-23-2011 01:16 PM

First of all, love your Carpenter Star. You did a great job.

My suggestion - - I would border it with the background (light) fabric so that your star is the "star" of the quilt. In other words, let it float and don't stop it with a green border. I would add enough border on the four sides so that you have a top that is the size of your bed top. The borders may not all be the same size. The two side borders should be the same. The top border should be large enough so that the Carpenter Star is not covered by pillows/pillow shams and the bottom border would then be enough to make the fit for the bed top. Then, you could add green borders for the drop on the three sides.

I also would not make the top large enough for pillow tucks. I would let the top of the quilt lie under the pillows and make pillow shams or, at a minimum, decorative pillows to match the pillow top.

Now, you have one suggestion and I am sure many more will be received. Then you have the task of wading through all the suggestions and picking the one that you like best. Good luck. Whatever you do, you will have a wonderful quilt. Please post your final quilt for us to enjoy.

Edit - looks like my suggestion is similar to "mytwopals". I was just so wordy that hers got posted while I was still writing.

bjnicholson 02-23-2011 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by mytwopals
I might use the white, wide enough to completely cover the bed top, then use additional borders of the green and flowered fabrics to complete the sides. This way you can make the "top border" wide enough to account for the pillows.

I like this idea too.

bj 02-23-2011 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by bjnicholson

Originally Posted by mytwopals

I like this idea too.

Me too!

:-D :D

quiltlady1941 02-23-2011 03:19 PM

Thank you everyone,

I now have some ideas to pick from. I like the one that said to use the light fabric, but I don't have enought for that. I will go back to joAnn's and see if I can find some more of the same.

The light fabric is not white, it looks it in the picture, it is a cream color with a little darker cream in it. hopeful I will be able to find more of this fabric.

How would it look if I did the green all over the top like you said to do with the crean color? I do have enought of that fabric or the blk flowered one.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

mytwopals 02-24-2011 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941
How would it look if I did the green all over the top like you said to do with the crean color? I do have enough of that fabric or the blk flowered one.

I hope you can find more of the cream colored fabric. I do not believe using the green or black flowered fabric would give the desired effect of showing off all the excellent work you've done on the carpenters star.

quiltlady1941 02-24-2011 02:53 PM

Hi there everyone thank you so much for all your help on figuring out which border I should use. I went to JoAnn's today and found the cream fabric, so I bought enough to finish the quilt.
I layed out the fabric using the cream fabric in the first border and the min, I saw it, I love it. So that is what I will be using for the first border. the cream and go from there.

Mytwopals... So sorry that I got you mixed up and called you a lady....HUMM being 100% man and single is even better LOL anyway sorry about the mix up.

Again everyone thank you so much, when I get it together I will post a picture of the quilt.

I am going to have a older friend quilt it for me, the only thing is she only has one design that she uses on her long arm, it is a overall loop design. She said she is to old to get a new machine that would have more designs and she is fine with the long arm she has.She has done some other quilts for me and they all came out really pretty.

Thank you all