Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need help deciding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-deciding-t43646.html)

Skyqueen30094 04-23-2010 10:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I was going to do the d9p for a baby quilt for my great nephew. I didn't really plan ahead well before I cut. I cut 12 - 7 in squares of each fabric now I don't know how to lay out the blocks I planned to do the brown in the middle so it would be cut into smaller pieces plus I don't have enough to cut more of the brown I have plenty of the rest of fabric. .(except brown it was a scrap ) I wanted the bear fabric to be the focal fabric the blue with white dots I wanted to use as the backing - have more of it than others, rest of fabric I bought a yard so I have about a half yard left. oh and more red So should I do the bear in 2 corners and blue/dots in other 2 corners or just the bears in 4 corners ; brown in middle and rest in center of sides? or forget the d9p and do something else with the 7 in squares? I had planned for the quilt to be approx 42 x 50 so I could use the blue dots on back

Skyqueen30094 04-23-2010 10:47 AM

help help

sewcrafty 04-23-2010 11:03 AM

I've never done one, but if you type in the SEARCH d9p you come up with all kinds of listings. Lots of pictures too!! I think according to the pictures, depending on the pattern you choose for the d9p is how the fabric should be layed out.

I know, not much help at all!! Sorry! :oops:

mom-6 04-23-2010 11:39 AM

Draw out your possible choices on a piece of paper labeling the colors (or if you feel real creative, use colored markers) and see an approximation of what each option would look like, then you have a better idea of what each one will look like and whether or not you like it.

Skyqueen30094 04-23-2010 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I've never done one, but if you type in the SEARCH d9p you come up with all kinds of listings. Lots of pictures too!! I think according to the pictures, depending on the pattern you choose for the d9p is how the fabric should be layed out.

I know, not much help at all!! Sorry! :oops:

thanks I did a search for the d9p and that is how I decided on the 7 in square just didn't take in account the 4 colors I had and how to lay them them out except for brown in middle.. what I decided to do was bears on four corners then one with red on the 4 middle outer and the yellow w/red dots center; then green in the middle outer and brown in the middle; cut the 9p then decide on pattern. thanks for reply

rndelling 04-23-2010 02:04 PM

I've found with D9P that there are so many ways to put them together that no matter how you do your 9 patches you can always find a way to put them together that will look nice.

theresse 04-23-2010 02:52 PM

Start by using your brown in the middle of a tic- tac-toe, your focal fabric on two corners or all four corners. that is a nine patch, you said you wanted the brown to be cut. It will end up with a brwn in corner of four blocks, start thinking of where you want your focal fab-, now the tac blk above the brwn it you puta dark fab- above and below, you will have a dark fab- in all four blks. If you put two light blks on the second row tac blk on each side. when cut you will have focal-fab+drk+lght in all four squares.

theresse 04-23-2010 03:00 PM

Hello sewcrafty It looks like my advice wont help for a while. But thats OK.How are you doing. I'm learning with every Qt. I don't consider my self a beginner, but I have a lot to learn. Theresse