Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help with Dresden plate (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-dresden-plate-t158190.html)

betty jo 10-06-2011 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by matraina
I know you said you've watched many tutorials, but have you watched the one by Missouri Star Quilting Company:

http://www.youtube.com/missouriquilt.../4/lcy_p4pryE4

I have watched that one many times and she has no problem with hers laying flat; I like that lady on MS, she is good,,I really think I'm stretching mine more than I think, but will keep trying. I have gotten so many good helpful info from the Board and I appreciate every one. thank you !!

BettyGee 10-06-2011 01:20 PM

I just finished one that I made using EPP and when I first lay it down it wouldn't lay flat. So I carefully pressed and now it is as flat as a pancake. The other one I made, my first I used the tutorial on Missouri Quilt Co, absolutely the best tutorial on Dresden ever, and it too was a little wavy when I first lay it down, but then after several pressings it was nice and flat. Attention to detail is really important in doing a Dresden, no fudging 'cause it will show. Other than diligent pressing I'm at a loss at what the problem could be.

They are so beautiful so stick with it, you'll find the right way to get them the way you want and will love them.

madamekelly 10-06-2011 02:31 PM

When I am making Dresens, I use a heavy spray of sizing so everything is rigid, then I cut the 'blades' out. I have much less adjusting, when I do this.

betty jo 10-06-2011 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by BettyGee
I just finished one that I made using EPP and when I first lay it down it wouldn't lay flat. So I carefully pressed and now it is as flat as a pancake. The other one I made, my first I used the tutorial on Missouri Quilt Co, absolutely the best tutorial on Dresden ever, and it too was a little wavy when I first lay it down, but then after several pressings it was nice and flat. Attention to detail is really important in doing a Dresden, no fudging 'cause it will show. Other than diligent pressing I'm at a loss at what the problem could be.

They are so beautiful so stick with it, you'll find the right way to get them the way you want and will love them.

Please tell me what EPP is, I maybe missing something. thanks for your help & info.I appreciate all the replies I have gotten.

QuiltE 10-06-2011 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by betty jo
[Please tell me what EPP is, I maybe missing something. thanks for your help & info.I appreciate all the replies I have gotten.

EPP = English Paper Piecing

JackieG 10-06-2011 05:54 PM

I had that problem once. I think my zigzag stitch was too short and too wide. It seemed to pucker slightly.

BettyGee 10-07-2011 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by betty jo

Originally Posted by BettyGee

Please tell me what EPP is, I maybe missing something. thanks for your help & info.I appreciate all the replies I have gotten.

Sorry. Didn't mean to be misleading. It is when you sew fabric around a precut piece of paper or card stock using a basting stitch. Then you sew all the blades together using a whip stitch, press the Dresden and then remove the basting stitches and the paper/card stock. The templates can be used over and over. I like it because it is fun, I can do it in the evening while I watch TV with my DH and it creates beautiful projects. But as to your original concern I still urge gentle repeat pressing to get your plate to lie flat.

joycet 10-07-2011 08:55 AM

if you are doing full 1/4" seams and using the Easy Dresden you might have to add a extra blade. I found this to be true when making my Dresden Plate. just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

betty jo 10-07-2011 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by joycet
if you are doing full 1/4" seams and using the Easy Dresden you might have to add a extra blade. I found this to be true when making my Dresden Plate. just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I appreciate your 2 cents worth and all the other who have sent suggestions to help solve this problem. Will tackle another one when I finish this one. have a bless day

newestnana 07-05-2012 04:46 AM

I'm so glad I found this link. I had the same problem with a Dresden Plate I made two days ago...really thought i had been careful with my 1/4" seams. Anyway, the ring was a tad bigger around the middle than the outer edges, so it was kind of wrinkley. Although all the hints are useful, the idea of assembling quarters and then squaring them up sounds like it will make it foolproof.

Thank you all!