Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help figuring block size for border (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-figuring-block-size-border-t160985.html)

Farm Quilter 10-16-2011 08:26 PM

I am making a log cabin block as a border for a quilt and my quilt is currently 63" square. I don't know what size to make my log cabin blocks to make them come out exactly the right size on the corners! Can someone help me out, please?! I can make either 7 9" blocks or 9 7" blocks, and either one will work, but I'm just not sure what size to make the logs.

Airwick156 10-16-2011 08:28 PM

I hope you can find an answer and I am sure that someone here will be able to help you. I know nothing about how to do that sorry. :)

cjsparks 10-16-2011 08:32 PM

Can you post a picture of the quilt? Is the size 63 inches from one edge to the other? Does this include the seam allowance?

Farm Quilter 10-16-2011 08:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by cjsparks
Can you post a picture of the quilt? Is the size 63 inches from one edge to the other? Does this include the seam allowance?

It is the exact measurement of the quilt from edge to edge.

Log cabin that needs a log cabin block border
[ATTACH=CONFIG]272594[/ATTACH]

Jan in VA 10-17-2011 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
I am making a log cabin block as a border for a quilt and my quilt is currently 63" square. I don't know what size to make my log cabin blocks to make them come out exactly the right size on the corners! Can someone help me out, please?! I can make either 7 9" blocks or 9 7" blocks, and either one will work, but I'm just not sure what size to make the logs.

For 9" block:
Cut hearth at 2"
Cut logs at 1 & 1/2" (3 logs per side)

For 7" block:
Cut hearth at 2"
Cut logs at 1 & 5/8" (2 logs per side)

Jan in VA

QuiltnNan 10-17-2011 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by cjsparks

It is the exact measurement of the quilt from edge to edge.

unfortunately, 9s or 7s won't work, because your quilt should be 63.5 to do that... you need the seam allowance.

Farm Quilter 10-17-2011 06:14 AM

Thank you so much, Jan!!! That is exactly what I needed. When it's all finished, I'll post pictures!

Jan in VA 10-17-2011 08:28 AM

Thank you so much, Jan!!! That is exactly what I needed. When it's all finished, I'll post pictures!

Oh Good!! I look forward to seeing it. :-)
I've got a DD in the USAF, too; she's a pediatrician in Colorado Springs. her DH is stationed there as well, in the Army.

Jan in VA

madamekelly 10-17-2011 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA

For 9" block:
Cut hearth at 2"
Cut logs at 1 & 1/2" (3 logs per side)

For 7" block:
Cut hearth at 2"
Cut logs at 1 & 5/8" (2 logs per side)

Jan in VA

Jan, did you allow for the 1/2 inch shortage due to seams on center piece? If not, maybe she could put another 1 inch (finish at 1/2 inch) border?

Glassquilt 10-17-2011 06:50 PM

I'd cut both the hearth & the logs at 1-1/2" so that all parts would finish 1" and just add logs until the block's finished.