Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help on figuring out the sashing for a 12.5 block. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-figuring-out-sashing-12-5-block-t188614.html)

Quiltbaby 05-10-2012 12:33 PM

Need help on figuring out the sashing for a 12.5 block.

I have a 6.5 inch block that I want to make 12.5. Can you tell me what size each piece of sashing should be to make it 12.5. Also is there a sight that will teach you about making blocks different sizes and how to figure out the sashing.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Quiltbaby

ckcowl 05-10-2012 12:40 PM

3 1/2" sashing strips would get you up to 12 1/2"---but that large could over power the block
visit Quilter's Cache---they have tons of free blocks in alot of different sizes- you just choose what size you want then find the block- you can make a block 6 1/2",i think 8 1/2, 9", 10 1/2", 12 1/2", 15"...they have them all- and it is a good go-to site for free blocks.

bearisgray 05-10-2012 12:42 PM

A drawing of the block would help.

PaperPrincess 05-10-2012 12:43 PM

If I understand you correctly, you want to add a strip to all 4 sides of a 6.5" block to make it a 12.5" block (I'm assuming 6.5 and 12.5 are the unfinished sizes).
12.5-6.5 = 6 So to make it even all the way around, you would divide the additional 6 inches by 2, which gives you 3Now you have to add the two 1/4" seam allowances back in so if you cut 3.5" strips and sew them to each side of the 6.5" block, you will wind up with a 12.5" one.

Quiltbaby 05-10-2012 12:58 PM

To Everyone thank you very much.

To you PaperPrincess, you have taken the time to help me understand. I truly appreciate this lesson. I am doing a quilt for a friend who has Lukemia and Iam doing embroidery on it and the embroidery is on a block that is a solid color but when the quilt is put together on the way, the blocks fad out so I want to bring them back into the quilt. Thanks again for your help.

Quiltbaby

Quiltbaby 05-10-2012 12:59 PM

I meant when the quilt is put together on the wall, the solid block fade out.

Quiltbaby

Christine George 05-10-2012 09:11 PM

12.5 minus 6.5 = 6 divided by 2 = 3 + seam allowance = 3.5

Arleners 05-11-2012 07:15 AM

Sashing is just a little more complicated

3 Attachment(s)
Although people have answered your question, I thought of something that might change what is being suggested. Your question about how to sash a block to bring it up to 12.5 inches has been answered, but in an overall quilt design you much keep something additional in mind. If you add sashing to every side of the block, when you sew the blocks together you will end up with double sashing.

If you are dealing in just sewing blocks together, you can just decide on a size and go with it. If you are talking about sashed blocks it is a little more complicated. The blocks and sashing are alternate rows. If choose to have an outer sashing, you have one more strip of sashing than the number of blocks. If you only have inner sashing, you have an extra block. You have to take that into your calculations. You can use the 3.5 inch sashing. Then every block and it's surrounding sashings will equal 12 inches finished. Just know that you will have one extra sashing piece at the end.
I have attached some pictures to show what I mean.

pollyjvan9 05-12-2012 09:09 AM

Arlene, you did a wonderful job explaining the sashing. I was sitting here trying to put into that into words, then read your post. Much better and clearer than I could have done.