Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need help with finishing stamped embroidery quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-finishing-stamped-embroidery-quilt-t158078.html)

stitchylady 10-04-2011 07:50 PM

I have previously done one of these quilts that had the hand quilting stencils on it for hand stitching. I'm currently almost finishing a quilt that does not have the stamped quilting design, so dont know how to finish it. Some of you may have seen it in Herrschners catalog-its the lap quilt with the cats and quilts printed on it. I'm a total "newbie"
at all of this so hope someone can help me.
Thanks!

Painiacs 10-04-2011 09:32 PM

Need to explain little more or show pic of what u need help with

schoolteacher 10-05-2011 02:56 AM

Yes, please show some pictures. I have done several embroidery blocks and set them into a quilt with other blocks. Would be glad to give some suggestions.

mama lyn 10-05-2011 04:04 AM

Are you quilting by hand or machine?

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 10-05-2011 04:20 AM

I'm doing hand quilting on a crosstitched panel I used in the center of a quilt. I'm kind of winging it. It had the markings for the quilting but nothing where the cross stitching is. My batting says to quilt not more then 4 inches apart. I'm quilting around the flower stems to make sure I have enough quilting. I'd just be careful you follow the batting directions.

mama lyn 10-05-2011 04:39 AM

I agree that the trick to any quilting is following the batting instructions. Thumbs up to you for hand quilting this project. That is a big job!

stitchylady 10-05-2011 05:07 AM

Thanks for your replies. I cant send a pic, but will try to explain better. The lap quilt is stamped for cross stitch, which I am almost finished with. It doesnt have any stamping for the quilting though for after I put it together with the batting and backing. Should I just freeform it around the cats and quilt design on the lap quilt or should I d something else? I hope I've been clearer this time. :)

gmcsewer 10-05-2011 05:20 AM

I made a quilt like this and had enough squares for a queen size, so I just found a compatible fabric and bound the edges. If you need a bigger size, you could add a a border or two in colors compatible with the embroidery. I have seen this also.

Farm Quilter 10-05-2011 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by stitchylady
It doesnt have any stamping for the quilting though for after I put it together with the batting and backing. Should I just freeform it around the cats and quilt design on the lap quilt or should I d something else?

Since it is your quilt you get to choose the quilting - I think it's the most exciting, fun part of the whole process!!! I would look online at other embroidered quilts and see the quilting done on them. From that you will find what appeals to you and what doesn't and it also gives you something to copy!!! If you are more comfortable with following lines when doing your quilting, I would use a water-erasable marker like those from Mark-B-Gone and draw out the pattern desired for quilting and have at it. You do need to do the drawing before you make the quilt sandwich (easier to draw on). After the quilt is quilted and bound, just soak in cold water to remove your markings, lay quilt out and block to make sure it is completely squared on the corners and the sides are straight. I would test the marker's disappearing qualities on a scrap of material or on the very edge of my quilt before I committed the marker to the center of the quilt!!!

scraphq 10-05-2011 07:42 AM

Sorry, I don't have a Herrschner catalog handy so I can check out your top. I generally do a diagonal crosshatching quilting on the open areas and quilt around the designs. If the designs are quite large, I try to quilt around some of the detail in the designs to get closer quilting. Hope this helps.