Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help in lengthening a quilt pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-lengthening-quilt-pattern-t178060.html)

hsquiltingmom 02-03-2012 04:24 PM

Need help in lengthening a quilt pattern

Hi Everyone,

I am making a quilt that is originally 49" X 62". I want to make it 66" X 88" to fit on a twin size bed. I was able to easily work out the width to the right side, but even with adding an extra row of blocks and 2 rows of sashing, I still come up with a total of 79". I was trying to keep my side borders and top and bottom borders the same, but it is not working. Is it okay to make my borders different sizes to make this work? I don't have a way to post a picture of the quilt I am doing, but all of my blocks are twelve inches. Sashing is 1" there is a border before the main border that is 1/2" all the way around and borders are 4" (originally) but I changed them to 6". In the original pattern there are 3 blocks in 4 rows. I changed it to 4 blocks in 5 rows.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

nativetexan 02-03-2012 05:11 PM

it's fine to just add borders on the sides and bottom if that does the trick. or more at the top if you want to tuck it under the pillow too. sometimes more blocks are added and then borders. nothing is against the rules.

GemState 02-03-2012 05:12 PM

Put an extra border on the top and bottom. It only adds interest as well as solving your problem!

Kuusistoquilter 02-03-2012 05:13 PM

Yes, it is OK that the borders don't match. Add what you need and make the top and bottom borders different, or add another. you are making the quilt, so add something to the top and bottom.

momto5 02-03-2012 05:15 PM

Do it your way!

hsquiltingmom 02-03-2012 06:03 PM

sounds great. My daughter is coming for a sewing day tomorrow, so I am trying to make sure I have projects ready for us to work on. If we keep this up, I will be able to have quilts done for everyone in the family by Christmas. Most of them are coming from my stash or things I have started and block exchanges. Won't my hubby be shocked when I don't have to spend much on Christmas this year? I have the batting and the backing fabric.

dunster 02-03-2012 07:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you make it 4 blocks wide and 6 blocks long you will come up with 66x92. That's with 1" sashing all around, .5" IB and 6" OB. Is that size okay? I think the proportions are better than if you just add more border. But either way is fine!

theoldgraymare 02-03-2012 07:19 PM

It is perfectly fine to have borders that don't match. I have done the same thing -- add an extra border at top and bottom -- and it gives an added interest to the quilt.

ka9sdn 02-04-2012 05:30 AM

Adding to the borders is fine but can you also increase the sashing to add some length? Draw it out to see what it would look like.

Polly C 02-04-2012 06:17 AM

I have lengthened quilts by making the top and bottom border wider than the side borders like it. You can do this with multiple borders if necessary. The quilt police have never even given me a ticket for this!!!