Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help with math! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-math-t58497.html)

mzsooz 08-08-2010 05:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I want to make a quilt with these blocks but I want to use charm squares. So instead of the 2 5/8" squares mine will work out to be 2 1/2" squares. Where I need the help is figuring out the sizes of the other squares needed. I'm not worried about the block coming out a certain size. Just want everything to be cut correctly so it goes together right.

Can someone help me? I really suck at math :oops:

charmpacksplus 08-08-2010 05:39 PM

I'm a fudger when it comes to adjusting patterns! Since you're making the 2 5/8 blocks just a little smaller, then I would just make the others the size the pattern calls for then trim them down once the are sewn in place. They are the triangle pieces around the edge so you should be able to just chop them off.

This might not be the best advice, but it works for me! :mrgreen:

Sadiemae 08-08-2010 05:46 PM

Wow! I would take several scrap pieces and cut and play with them before I began this project.

I don't know if this is correct or not.

Calculating 2" finished square:
4.078" square cut twice on the diagonal for side setting triangles. I think you would round up to 4 1/16" or 4 1/8".
2.29" square cut on the diagonal for corners. I think this would round to 2 3/8".
Help! Does this sound correct?

NewYearsOld 08-08-2010 06:04 PM

If your finished squares will be 2" then here is the formula:

for the 1/2 sq triangles you will add finished(2) + 7/8" = 2 7/8" square cut in half diagonally.

for the 1/4 sq triangles you will add finished(2) + 1 1/4" = 3 1/4" square cut in half diagonally twice.

Sadiemae 08-08-2010 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by NewYearsOld

for the 1/2 sq triangles you will add finished(2) + 7/8" = 2 7/8" square cut in half diagonally.

for the 1/4 sq triangles you will add finished(2) + 1 1/4" = 3 1/4" square cut in half diagonally twice.

Aren't they side setting and corner setting triangles, not hst and qst?

mzsooz 08-08-2010 06:10 PM

Thanks everyone! I knew I could count on you. (sure wish I would have paid more attention in math!)

NewYearsOld 08-08-2010 06:13 PM

When I first started quilting 6 years ago, my neighbor, gave me "The Quilters Pocket Reference" book by Peggy Scholley. It is filled with all the information you need to determine the yardage for your next quilt plus easy-to-use charts and instructions. It is a must have! :)

NewYearsOld 08-08-2010 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae

Originally Posted by NewYearsOld

Aren't they side setting and corner setting triangles, not hst and qst?

You are correct! I had to look at the pattern again. I use my square that is cut in 1/4 for my corner triangles, and my square that is cut in 1/2 for my side setting triangles. So you will need 6 of the A block and just one of the B block with this formula.

clem55 08-09-2010 09:35 AM

Aren't all the squares cut the same size?

redpurselady 08-09-2010 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Wow! I would take several scrap pieces and cut and play with them before I began this project.

I don't know if this is correct or not.

Calculating 2" finished square:
4.078" square cut twice on the diagonal for side setting triangles. I think you would round up to 4 1/16" or 4 1/8".
2.29" square cut on the diagonal for corners. I think this would round to 2 3/8".
Help! Does this sound correct?

According to the formula for setting triangles and corner triangles - this is what I get as well.