Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help with Minkee (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-minkee-t233642.html)

CGail 10-30-2013 05:18 PM

Need help with Minkee

I am trying to make a lap size quilt with 100% cotton on one side and Minkee on the other side. I am making it envelope type. At first, I tried to add a layer of batting; but I just cannot keep the layers straight. I am using a walking foot. Tonight I have ripped out the entire quilt and removed the batting. Tomorrow I will sew the cotton and Minkee only envelope style using my walking foot. Does it make any difference whether the Minkee is on the down side next to the plate or on top next to the needle?

lfstamper 10-30-2013 05:32 PM

I would put the minkee on the bottom so the feed dogs grab it and pull it through. You need to pin LOTS as minkee moves easily. I have seen minkee stabilized with fusible light weight interfacing if you want to try that. Good luck!

Tiggersmom 10-30-2013 05:41 PM

I've never used it, but my friend that has a HQ16 uses it all the time. Minkey does stretch more in one direction than the other. ..... so sew cautiously........if you have extra minkey try doing a small sample to see what works best for you. You might get better results with using tissue paper just in the sewing area in case it attaches its self to the feed dogs.....I've used that technique for sewing with plastic type materials. best of luck.

CGail 10-30-2013 05:43 PM

Thank you, Linda. I was thinking the Minkee needed to be down next to the feed dogs, but I wanted to ask first. I certainly do not want to have to rip again. Minkee is not only hard to sew, it is definitely hard to rip. I paid way to much for this Minkee. It is for my grandson and is the first Baylor University fabric that I have found. I am hoping to have better luck tomorrow. Thanks again for your help.

Tartan 10-30-2013 05:53 PM

Someone posted they had better luck using 505 basting spray with Minky and a cotton top. They layered the Minky on the bottom with the cotton on top and after quilting, put on a binding. I have never been happy doing the envelope style of quilt.

jkaczor19 10-30-2013 06:36 PM

I have made a few envelope style minkee blankets. I have always serged them.

DogHouseMom 10-30-2013 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6377888)
Someone posted they had better luck using 505 basting spray with Minky and a cotton top. They layered the Minky on the bottom with the cotton on top and after quilting, put on a binding. I have never been happy doing the envelope style of quilt.

Thats what I did. No batting, as it wasnt needed with the weight of the minky ... and my top was flannel. Spray basted them together and quilted with walking foot (minky on bottom). Worked great, no shifting at all.

TexasSunshine 10-31-2013 03:17 AM

I have used minkee often on the LA and you do have to be careful of stretching it but have had no problem.