Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help with my featherweight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-my-featherweight-t56141.html)

Kathy N 07-25-2010 02:43 PM

Check and make sure you have the right size needle in your featherweight and the right size bobbin. one or both could be causing your problems.

Organ needles are best. You should be able to get them at any LQS.

nellie 07-25-2010 02:57 PM

try pm,ing lostin51,he repair,s them. he,s on this board just look for his board name.

cabinqltr 07-25-2010 03:21 PM

[quote=Sunflower Girl]I bought a featherweight on ebay and got it Friday. It sews beautiful but the top thread keeps getting caught in the bobbin case and when I stop the top thread is caught up in the bobbin case.
Hi, If the machine sews well then it is threaded properly and the bobbin is in right, as yu pull the bobbin thread out the bobbin turns counterclockwise. Sounds to me like there is a thread behind the bobbin case holder that is keeping it from seating properly and that could be the reason for the thread hang up.
If you have a manual check it to see how to remove the bobbin case base to check for hidden threads behind it. If you do not, send me a P M and I will give you the instructions for doing this.
Let me know. Always glad to try to help. Love those Featherweights. Ruth

KathyAire 07-25-2010 05:20 PM

I don't know the proper position for the needle on your machine. I have a very old, industrial machine that I inherited. I know nothing about it other than it sews like a dream. I was making a bag and broke a needle. After that, I couldn't get the needle to bring the bobbin thread up. I was frustrated for months. Just yesterday I called the machanist that makes house calls in our area to make an appointment to come and fix it. He asked what the problem was. I told him and he said it sounded like the needle wasn't in properly. I didn't even know there was a right/wrong way to put it in this machine because the needles are round on the top. Anyway, I put the needle in as he told me and now my machine is working properly again. I just knew it was something major. I was very pleased that he talked me through my problem and I didn't even have to pay a consulting fee.
So check your needle.

hulahoop1 07-25-2010 05:24 PM

I have a pdf copy of the owner's manual. If you want to PM me with your email address, I will be happy to email it to you.

Sunflower Girl 07-25-2010 05:48 PM

My e-mail is [email protected]. Thank you for your help!

hulahoop1 07-25-2010 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflower Girl
My e-mail is [email protected]. Thank you for your help!

It's on it's way now!

Sunflower Girl 07-25-2010 06:22 PM

Thank you, I'll set what I can do with it in the morning, when I'm freshly rested

kathome 08-08-2010 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by hulahoop1
If you've taken off the throat plate, the bobbin case is left to rotate freely. When you put the throat plate back on, you need to make sure that the position "finger" of the bobbin case base enters the notch of the position plates attached to the underside of the throat plate.

You have no idea how much time you just saved me. Sending BIG HUGS of thanks from Texas!

hulahoop1 08-08-2010 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by kathome

Originally Posted by hulahoop1
If you've taken off the throat plate, the bobbin case is left to rotate freely. When you put the throat plate back on, you need to make sure that the position "finger" of the bobbin case base enters the notch of the position plates attached to the underside of the throat plate.

You have no idea how much time you just saved me. Sending BIG HUGS of thanks from Texas!

You are so welcome! Enjoy your little sewing machine...