Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Help--Not "Feeling It" Picture Heavy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-not-feeling-picture-heavy-t237088.html)

Quilter 65 12-20-2013 10:23 AM

Need Help--Not "Feeling It" Picture Heavy

5 Attachment(s)
Here's my dilemma. I want to finish this, but not able to because it doesn't "seem right" to me. I have the center of the top done. Now I need to add borders. The original pattern called for a 2 inch border of the same fabric (white/gold) used in the blocks. I have a piece of lighter and have auditioned it as well as the same fabric. However, nothing is working for me. I have two beautiful strips of fabric, one is a border fabric in this line and the other is the material between the borders. Nothing I have tried is working so far for me, but I am maybe leaning one way. Could you please give me your opinions and if nothing strikes you, please say so. The one thing that has occurred to me and that I didn't picture is simply a stop border of the red and then the border, but afraid it will get lost and not add to the situation. So here goes. Will post more pics in another thread so not overwhelming.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]452533[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]452534[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]452537[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]452535[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]452544[/ATTACH]

Jamiestitcher62 12-20-2013 10:26 AM

I like the one with just the panel border. It's very pretty though, I like it alot.

crafty pat 12-20-2013 10:28 AM

I really like the third picture with the border and stripe. Very beautiful fabric.

RST 12-20-2013 10:30 AM

I like the photo on the left, 2nd one down. It's a lovely quilt, and I think you are probably suffering from overload syndrome-- you've been looking at it a long time and it's hard to see objectively when you are just fixed on one thing for too long.

Lori S 12-20-2013 10:32 AM

I think if you use a dark color green fabric ( with just a bit of metallic) and make a skinny border all the other choices will stand out and be more appealing. I think you aren't getting enough separation from the blocks to the border.

Quilter 65 12-20-2013 10:33 AM

Need Help--Not "Feeling It" Picture Heavy II

5 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]452550[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]452551[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]452554[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]452555[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]452556[/ATTACH]
As you can see, I have several possibilities. Some of the fabric has viney things in it, some have tone-on-tone stars, another has the stars with green, red, and gold, some of the mottled gold is brighter, one has a viney thing on it. I just really wanted this quilt to be special and I feel like I am not getting the right finish. I have another I want to start on and this one has to get finished first. Any help would be appreciated. Merry Christmas.

DogHouseMom 12-20-2013 10:47 AM

I like the dark green strip border and personally ... I would put that right next to the quilt (skip a light border).

Tartan 12-20-2013 10:49 AM

I like just the border print myself. Beautiful blocks!

frenchfryqueen 12-20-2013 10:50 AM

I too would skip a light border and just put the panel border right next to the quilt.

Rodney 12-20-2013 10:51 AM

I'm not sure that I can offer any advice but it is going to be a beautiful quilt when you're done. I like your last picture with the very thin almost piping looking gold border between the body and outside border the best.
Rodney