Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need Help with Picking Embroidery Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-picking-embroidery-machine-t185906.html)

usafchick1980 04-13-2012 07:56 AM

Need Help with Picking Embroidery Machine

I am looking to buy an embroidery machine. I know that they are not cheap. I don't need top of the line. But I don't want bottom of the line either. I was just looking on Ebay. There is a Janome 10001 with a bid at $99 right now. I am sure that that will go up. But I was just wondering if this is a good machine. Is there somewhere that I can get a good machine for $500 or less or am I off my rocker for even thinking that that is possible?

linda8450 04-13-2012 08:08 AM

I have the top of the line VIking, and several friends have less expensive models. If you are going to be happy with small hoops, limited stich area, then a less expensive machine might suit your needs. I am always so glad I bought the larger hoop capable machine when I sew with my friends! One friend has to format a floppy for her designs, I use a usb stick and I can put several folders full of designs to work on the stick. If you can only stitch the built in designs, or have to hook up the computer, it would limit your use if you want to take it out to visit unless you also can take your computer. I have been sewing since I was 4 and now collect Social Security, and found I want the best (I can afford) of things that will last. I might not need the best cake mix, but I want the best cake mixer! Having traded up many times, I think I would save my money until I could get the best I could afford. Buying a $500 machine will not give you any money for trade up when you are ready to, and I bet it would be sooner than you think once you get hooked on this! It is not an inexpensive hobby, with special threads, stabalizers, tools, so think about how you will progress. Having a starter machine has it's advantages, when you buy the better machine you can have a backup! All in what you want out of the thing, but I would not be happy with only a 4x4 hoop. Just my humble opinion. Linda

usafchick1980 04-13-2012 08:35 AM

Thank you..this auction goes for 6 more days..if I can get it for less than $200 I will..if not I will just save my money for a better one down the road.

labug 04-13-2012 09:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the janome 10001 it is a good machine. I get my for $1500.00. You have to watch the size of your design and the stitch count when you buy them. For my first embroidery machine it does everything i'm doing. Here is a pillow I made and I'm working on a quilt right know.

usafchick1980 04-13-2012 09:38 AM

Great..thank you!

mic-pa 04-13-2012 10:00 AM

I have the Janome 10001 and love it. I can download patterns off the internet and it has the capabilitiy of larger hoop size. I got mine and paid $3000. brand new. They list for $5000. originally. So if you get one for less than $500. go for it.

nabobw 04-14-2012 05:21 AM

Have the same machine and LOVE it. I can do so much more with it. I have the software 4D which I use all the time.

Originally Posted by linda8450 (Post 5137818)
I have the top of the line VIking, and several friends have less expensive models. If you are going to be happy with small hoops, limited stich area, then a less expensive machine might suit your needs. I am always so glad I bought the larger hoop capable machine when I sew with my friends! One friend has to format a floppy for her designs, I use a usb stick and I can put several folders full of designs to work on the stick. If you can only stitch the built in designs, or have to hook up the computer, it would limit your use if you want to take it out to visit unless you also can take your computer. I have been sewing since I was 4 and now collect Social Security, and found I want the best (I can afford) of things that will last. I might not need the best cake mix, but I want the best cake mixer! Having traded up many times, I think I would save my money until I could get the best I could afford. Buying a $500 machine will not give you any money for trade up when you are ready to, and I bet it would be sooner than you think once you get hooked on this! It is not an inexpensive hobby, with special threads, stabalizers, tools, so think about how you will progress. Having a starter machine has it's advantages, when you buy the better machine you can have a backup! All in what you want out of the thing, but I would not be happy with only a 4x4 hoop. Just my humble opinion. Linda

LindaR 04-14-2012 05:36 AM

I started with a 270D brother (4x4 area) and quickly got bored with that...bought a 8500PS Brother on ebay with a 5x7 and it is a great machine, sewing & embroidery but wish I would have gone with the 6x10 area first...my advice, go as big as you can afford the first time around...you won't be sorry. I don't really use the embroidery part much anymore but had fun with it for awhile...

EllieGirl 04-14-2012 05:43 AM

I agree with LindaR. I have a BrotherSE400 which is a combination embroidery/sewing. The problem is it's designed to go only with a 4x4 hoop which really limits what can be made.

sylviak 04-14-2012 05:44 AM

I just bought a Brother PE 770 and I'm having a ball! It has the 5 X 7 frame and is easy to operate. I got it for $499, but they regularly run $599 or more. It doesn't have a color screen, but that's no problem at that price.