Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help please! Yards and yards of wet fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-please-yards-yards-wet-fabric-t65148.html)

bearisgray 09-17-2010 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Kathy N
I would load it all into the car and drive to the nearest laundramat and utilize every machine they have to wash it all at once by color family. Throw a color catcher in every load and a cup of vinegar. then you will have the large folding tables to fold the fabric. Take your scissors with you so you can trim off the stringies as you fold it. It will be a good morning's work but will make your life so much easier than trying to do it a load at a time at home. Good luck, if you were nearby we would all help.

Good advice - along with using the front loading machines.
You will probably have some raveling, but it's better to lose a bit on the ends than the whole piece.

Mariposa 09-17-2010 05:33 AM

Bummer that this happened! :( Hopefully, you will be able to get this figured out, and have wonderful cabinets. (and no water!) Can you store some fabrics elsewhere??

Dianne Lenore 09-17-2010 05:54 AM

Have you thought of getting a sump pump for the basement?
They are not that expensive and would save future flooding of the basement.

bearisgray 09-17-2010 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dianne Lenore
Have you thought of getting a sump pump for the basement?
They are not that expensive and would save future flooding of the basement.

She said water came through the walls into the backs of her cabinets.

Would a sump pump take care of that?

If I understood her posting correctly, she had stuff up off the floor.

Deborah12687 09-17-2010 06:22 AM

I had a basement that I didn't know it leaked plus the sewer backed up and all my fabric got wet. Had 8 inches of water in the basement and all the fabric on the bottom of 2 10 foot shelves that were 4 inches of the floor got wet witch was half of my huge stash on them. I went right to the laundry mat with it for a full week and used oxyclean and dreft laundry soap to wash it in. I air dried a lot of the fabric on the clothes line. Spent a full 3 weeks ironing all the fabric. Thank God I had renters insurance and got a check for $5200.00 as other things in the basement got recked.

sandpat 09-17-2010 06:22 AM

So sorry that this happened to you! Texas isn't much different from W. Tenn. about the basements..none here, they don't know how to build them or what they are for!

I can't offer any new advice about the washing..just wishing you good luck with it...wish we were closer to help you!

kathy 09-17-2010 07:22 AM

I didn't think anybody in Texas had basements, when I asked for one that's exactly what my husband said would happen, the walls would seep.

Emma S 09-17-2010 07:35 AM

I don't have anything to add to the great advice already given but would like to say how sorry I am that you are going through this. It's fun to visit your fabric but not if your afraid of loosing it. Let us know how it works out.

Rosyhf 09-17-2010 07:52 AM

If there is any possible way you can throw that fabric in the sun, hang it on the fence or make lines..the sun will help if meldew is anywhere....

the sun is hot right now you should be able to dry quickly. I keep my fabrics and books inside the house in closets and drawers.

I once has some box covers with lots of decorator fabrics under the bed and the toilet overflowed and I had to do the same thing.

paloma 09-17-2010 09:56 AM

done i find that things do not fray as muchor tangleo you have mesh bags, or could get some material and make