Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help with pre-wound bobbins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-pre-wound-bobbins-t133153.html)

LeeJay 06-25-2011 05:38 PM

I normally wind my own bobbins, but I found some Singer pre-wounds at a really good price, so I bought a bunch of them. I am having so much trouble finding the end of the thread to start a new bobbin. Is there a trick to this, am I inept, do I need a special code word-- or what? I really like the convenience, but am getting ready to toss them
LeeJay

whinnytoo 06-25-2011 05:54 PM

are the cardboard sided? can you remove the cardboard and see where the thread is tucked in? Sometimes using a pin to tug it out will help

Ramona Byrd 06-25-2011 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by LeeJay
I normally wind my own bobbins, but I found some Singer pre-wounds at a really good price, so I bought a bunch of them. I am having so much trouble finding the end of the thread to start a new bobbin. Is there a trick to this, am I inept, do I need a special code word-- or what? I really like the convenience, but am getting ready to toss them. PLEASE HELP!!
LeeJay

---------------------------------------------------
I bought some and wound up throwing them out. I never could find the end of the thread. Mine were plastic bobbins.

Granna of 5 06-25-2011 06:31 PM

I have the cardboard one and there is a slight diagonal where the thread is tucked. I use tweezers to get it started.

LeeJay 06-25-2011 06:36 PM

Mine are plastic bobbins. I have tried poking at it with a pin and have ended up pulling a loop of thread and cutting that. If I'm lucky I reach the starting point after unwinding for a bit. I'm still hoping that someone comes up with the perfect solution!?!?
LeeJay

bakermom 06-25-2011 06:39 PM

Wish I could help, I've only had slightly better luck when I tried them. some I could find the end easily but the rest i did like you-sacrificed some thread in hopes of having a usable bobbin.

TonnieLoree 06-25-2011 06:53 PM

I have learned that these were a test of my patience and good humor. I decided that there IS no end. It is one giant loop! :lol:

LeeJay 06-25-2011 07:14 PM

No wonder they were so "dirt cheap".... it is a cheap, rotten product!! I have always thought Singer was a reputable company, but now I am wondering why such a company would put such a worthless product on the market. I will never spend my money on this again, no matter how good a sale it is. I agree that it does seem to be one giant loop and my patience and good humor have been totally depleted this afternoon. Am wondering why I didn't just give up and wind my own... guess it is because I was born at the end of the depression, and we were always taught "waste not, want not".
LeeJay

TonnieLoree 06-25-2011 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by LeeJay
No wonder they were so "dirt cheap".... it is a cheap, rotten product!! I have always thought Singer was a reputable company, but now I am wondering why such a company would put such a worthless product on the market. I will never spend my money on this again, no matter how good a sale it is. I agree that it does seem to be one giant loop and my patience and good humor have been totally depleted this afternoon. Am wondering why I didn't just give up and wind my own... guess it is because I was born at the end of the depression, and we were always taught "waste not, want not".
LeeJay

Now, now, now; Singer is a very reputable company. I don't believe any one is saying they aren't. Just that those pre-wound bobbins are one of those things that you get what you pay for. Take heart. Look how many of us have posted to this topic. ;)

KarenR 06-25-2011 07:21 PM

Try rolling them between your fingers maybe the thread will come out.
Just a thought.