Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need help with quilt color choices (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-quilt-color-choices-t286021.html)

kinminis 02-12-2017 02:13 AM

need help with quilt color choices

3 Attachment(s)
Hello,
I need advice from experienced quilters. My sister wants me to make a quilt for her king size bed, however I am at a loss of what color choices to use for the quilt. See photos of her bedroom wall color and drapes. (I am not thrilled with the green walls, but it is what I have to work with) Any information would be extremely helpful before I purchase fabric. The flowery pattern is her drapes.

I have made several quilts for myself and family, but this color scheme in her bedroom has me confused as to what colors would compliment this room. I am thinking of using a very small print, so not to clash with the loud flower pattern in the drapes. I am going to use a star pattern on the blocks....any suggestions of other patterns are welcomed. Thanks in advance!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]568085[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]568086[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]568087[/ATTACH]

Mitty 02-12-2017 03:13 AM

Creams, tans, and browns? I notice that the sheets are a different shade of green, and if it were me I wouldn't want to introduce a third shade of green since I don't think I would be successful in matching either the sheets or the walls (I'm sure there are others who would be able to, but sticking to complementary neutrals is easier).

ckcowl 02-12-2017 03:25 AM

I would use creams, tans and browns.

notmorecraft 02-12-2017 03:50 AM

The curtains also have shades of pink, if you are using ditsy prints, creams, pinks peaches and browns look like they would blend well.

Mkotch 02-12-2017 04:29 AM

I agree with the creams, tans, and browns, and you can add a touch of rust for pop. Look for a cream and brown shirting for background. I ike the idea of peach also. You are smart not to try to match the green. Remember that your sister's taste may change and someday she'll probably want to repaint the room!

quilterpurpledog 02-12-2017 04:41 AM

How about using mixed creams, and tans with small amounts of green, peach, rust. It addresses all of the colors in the draperies and even the wall color but remains basically neutral. The mixed neutrals in the most of the quilt would be easy to work with and carry lots of texture. That would address the present color scheme without trying to overpower it.

QuiltE 02-12-2017 04:44 AM

As already said creams, but light creams, more towards white, as it looks like the blinds are white. Then pick up the pinks/peaches. Not brights, but keep the soft tones in the multiple shades of the floral print.

Chances are some greens may be in there, depending on what fabrics you find.
Also the tans/coffee of the same colour family as the chocolate in the drapes will help to coordinate it all together.

With the dark wood furniture and dark'ish green walls, there is enough dark, so the tendency is to steer clear of dark. Yet I would fear that if it is too light and airy, the sense may be that the large dark backboard and walls, are crashing in on the room. Does this make sense?

Because of this, I am thinking contrary to your star plans ....
I would consider a Trip Around the World or Boston Commons pattern or even a Blooming Nine Patch. Maybe even a Log Cabin.

For these, I would allow some of the the chocolate and green, to allow for the shadings from one to the other in the pattern of the quilt. But make sure they don't control the quilt, and turn it dark.

My thoughts are that these patterns could create a really well coordinated room, that feels warm, cozy and welcoming. Plus would leave lots of options, should your sister change furnishings, paint and/or draperies later on.

HillCountryGal 02-12-2017 04:51 AM

Go get some paint chip samples that have most of the colors in her room. Use those to help determine which will be the dominate color in your quilt.

I'd tend to use more mauve and cream with just enough brown and green to tie it all together.

Be sure and let us know how it goes.

Snooze2978 02-12-2017 05:47 AM

The wall color looks similar to what my bedroom walls are painted. I'm going with rust, similar greens, black, cream....doing a french braid. Been collecting fabrics for this project for some time now. When I find another fabric I think might go well with the collection, I add it to the pile. Then I check what I have collected and pull what no longer goes with the rest of them. I leave them spread out for a day or two on the cutting table so everytime I walk past it I'll see them.

PatPitter 02-12-2017 05:50 AM

I agree with using light creams and tans with maybe a touch of pink or rust.