Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need help with quilt for a preemie (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-help-quilt-preemie-t243497.html)

Tink's Mom 03-19-2014 06:01 AM

Need help with quilt for a preemie

I have seen info on quilts for the NICU before...but never needed it, so didn't note directions.

My youngest cousin and his wife just gave birth to a little girl a few days ago. She is 2 months premature. Instead of sending a regular baby quilt, I would like to send them a quilt to go over her isolette(?). I'm pretty sure I just spelled that wrong.

If anyone has an idea of what the hospitals usually require, I would appreciate the info. Would like to get this sent to them ASAP. I don't even know the baby's name, but figure if the quilt is made with love and prayers it will help her to thrive.

GingerK 03-19-2014 06:21 AM

Just Google isolette covers. There are several patterns available for free. You could also check with the specific hospital website. They may have special instructions. Often there is a volunteer group that make these sort of things and they will have patterns available.

FroggyinTexas 03-19-2014 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom (Post 6634291)
I have seen info on quilts for the NICU before...but never needed it, so didn't note directions.

My youngest cousin and his wife just gave birth to a little girl a few days ago. She is 2 months premature. Instead of sending a regular baby quilt, I would like to send them a quilt to go over her isolette(?). I'm pretty sure I just spelled that wrong.

If anyone has an idea of what the hospitals usually require, I would appreciate the info. Would like to get this sent to them ASAP. I don't even know the baby's name, but figure if the quilt is made with love and prayers it will help her to thrive.

Call the NICU in the hospital where she is. The charge nurse can tell you what is allowed and what is not. froggyintexas

DOTTYMO 03-19-2014 06:30 AM

They love small 18 " by 10" to put under baby with plenty of quilting. They may also like a large quilt to go over the incubator as well as a snuggle quilt for mum and dad to hold baby in.

Annie Pearl 03-19-2014 08:12 AM

I would call the director of the NICU and see what is acceptable and what is not. They might have strict guidelines you need to follow. I'm sure he/she will be happy to help you. Good Luck to the parents and may God bless the baby!!

Tink's Mom 03-19-2014 09:01 AM

Have a call in to my Aunt. Hopefully, she will be able to give me the hospital name and maybe #. Otherwise, will get cousin's # from her.
Cousin is out of state...and his parents are not able to travel to see the baby due to bad health.

Thanks for your help. Will be contacting the NICU.

krafty14 03-19-2014 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If this works :oP attached is a pattern for Isolette cover. (I hope) It is for a certain hospital, but might give you an idea. Free pattern

Zinda 03-19-2014 05:36 PM

It might be a good idea to make a quilt for Mom/Dad to use when they visit. I'm sure they are spending a lot of time and possibly taking naps close by. Minkee or flannel might be nice to use.

ILoveToQuilt 03-19-2014 05:45 PM

Prayers and blessings to your family. {{{Hugs}}}

Anita

Deb watkins 03-19-2014 05:48 PM

I make NICU quilts.....they are usually 22 x 22 or 24 x 24. Pinwheels, 4-patch blocks, Warm wishes, Trip around the World.....